What's new

Verizon talking people out of the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got an iPome at a Verizon store today - no one tried to talk us out of it. In fact, both of the people we talked to had iPhones themselves. One guy said it comes from when Verizon didn't have iPhones and they had to talk up the other brands. He was very very helpful. However, they were pushing cases and screen protectors.

Moot question now. We went to V store today. Wife loves her new phone! Mine is a while down the road.

Apple needs to stop that right away. I like my Verizon iPhone and like the service, but if they are going to act like a bunch of AT&T goons then I may think different about their service offerings.

included
I currently have the original droid and am ready for an upgrade. I visited 2 verizons stores inquiring about the iphone and both representatives were trying to talk me out of the iphone and steering me towards another droid. I can't seem to figure out why they are doing this. Has anyone else had this experience or does anyone have an idea why they are doing this? I was dead set on the iphone, now I am just completely skeptical.

It's about commission.. There's a reason why they rather have you buy a droid than an iPhone...

Actually, one of the main reasons any company will talk up a certain phone is because of contracts. Right now, the Droid lineup are Verizon's premier phones. As the iPhone is to AT&T. The iPhone to Verizon, is just another smart phone. But the droid series is an exclusive lineup only available to Verizon. Now because that lineup is so exclusive, sales reps want to push those products on you to make the Droid companies happy (Motorola, HTC, etc.) and now that the iPhone has been released, there has been a significant drop in sales towards the Droid family. So what does that mean? It means that if droid see's that there is a significant drop in sales, Verizon will lose the exclusivity on the product and the droid lineup will change platforms. That's one of the main reason sales reps try to push droids so much. =D

I asked a Verizon rep and they make the same commission selling either phone. They would actually like to sell iPhones because they are more user friendly and less chance of a return

I have att but know a few ppl that work at verizon and i asked " how are sells now that yall have the iphone?" they reply " we try not to sell them" for some odd reason . Its something to do with their personal sales . I think its pretty dumb if u ask me. My peesonal opinion i have had many iphones and android phones. I personaly like the iphone better.

I purchased my iPhone the day the white one came out and I purchased my husbands a couple of days ago. Neither time did the salesperson suggest something else they just sold me the phones. I wouldn't generalize and say it's a Verizon thing it probably varies store to store just as customer service does.

Back when Verizon couldn't get the iPhone they convinced themselves that the Droid was a better phone. Now they still believe their own lies and arguments.

Every Droid owner I've ever met wished they hadn't listened to the sales staff and had bought an iPhone instead.

There ain't nuttin' like an iPhone and I thought my BlackBerry was the bomb... LOL

This is simply the way it is... There is the iPhone and there are the wannabe phones. You that have your iPhones and have had other phones and have friends that have the wannabe phones know precisely what I mean.

There can be only one.... iPhone! :)

Bob

Same thing here. I was in the store to replace my Droid 2 global with the iPhone 4. I was talking to another customer about how I was exchanging (sold my d2g on eBay ) for an iPhone when the salesman said he preferred the Droid. He was selling the Droid pro to the other customer. When I asked how much the international data plan was, the employee began to overtly ignore me. I was very polite, but have used (and understood ) various phones, and there is a reason every other manufacturer is trying to make another iPhone. They must be trying to liquidate stock.

I have had them try and talk me into another droid when I went and looked at an iPhone for my fiancee. I had the iphone 4 already and she wanted one. Needless to say they didn't get the sale. Went to another verizon store a couple weeks ago and bought her a white one. And almost wanted to give her my black one and keep the white one! It looks great in white.

Rule number one, If you appear to be a sucker, they will pounce on you and treat you like a sucker.

Just to give you a quick reply to re-assert your initial interest in the Iphone. I just jumped from Droid X to Iphone 4 and can tell you there are pros and cons as with all things. However, the iphone 4 is exceptionally well built and will only get even better with newer apps and ios upgrades. The Droid is much faster on the internet side than the iphone 4 (Verizon), trade off is that the HD camera and video recorder is much better on the Iphone 4. There's plenty of new things on the iphone that made it worth the switch, but as beauty is in the eye of the holder, so is the iphone/Droids.

I especially recommend getting a mophie juice air pack (had to go to the dreaded AT&T store to get mine, but worth it) This really gives you the extra gas when your batteries go bye-bye. I hope that helps.

J

Just to give you a quick reply to re-assert your initial interest in the Iphone. I just jumped from Droid X to Iphone 4 and can tell you there are pros and cons as with all things. However, the iphone 4 is exceptionally well built and will only get even better with newer apps and ios upgrades. The Droid is much faster on the internet side than the iphone 4 (Verizon), trade off is that the HD camera and video recorder is much better on the Iphone 4. There's plenty of new things on the iphone that made it worth the switch, but as beauty is in the eye of the holder, so is the iphone/Droids.

I especially recommend getting a mophie juice air pack (had to go to the dreaded AT&T store to get mine, but worth it) This really gives you the extra gas when your batteries go bye-bye. I hope that helps.

J

I had to google the Mophie Juice Air Pack and here's what I found.
mophie juice pack air™ - iPhone 3G & 3GS charger / rechargeable battery case

Amazon has 'em....
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mophie-Juice-Rechargeable-Battery-iPhone/dp/B002BDU7U2]Amazon.com: Mophie Juice Pack Air Case and Rechargeable Battery for iPhone 3G, 3GS (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Interesting....

Bob

Hello one and all! I am VZW employee and know for a fact that in my store we are not pushing a person either way, but each of us do have our own preferences. I find that people that have android devices push that way and those that have an iPhone push that way. There is never any incentive towards a certain phone in the corporate stores.

I can't vouch for the indirect retailers at all and know that they have totally different things going on (mostly bad) ...

I love my iPhone and am now running iOS 5 on it and it is pretty slick. Dont let a fanboy ruin your phone buying experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.