What's new

My strategy of getting the iphone 4 and 5 (or 6)

Nilax2- you will be able to do one last and final annual upgrade in April to purchase an iPhone 4 for the upgrade pricing, since your an existing customer. After that upgrades are every two years.

When you call or speak to a Verizon rep in April you have to be sure to have them speak to a supervisor to clarify, if the original rep says no.

I upgraded my phone annually for years with upgrade pricing and did this exact thing.

As for the original post, sure you can buy a phone every year for full retail price, I currently have the iPhone 4, and if I find the iPhone 5 irresistible then I will sell my iPhone 4 for approx. $300, I bet Verizon gives us current iPhone 4 owners a discount for purchasing iPhone 5 (I understand even ATT gives discount), let's say a discount of $150, now I purchase the new iPhone 5 for $650 - $450 = total out of pocket cost $200 with a $20 charge from Verizon to add the new phone. Worst case senario Verizon doesn't give a discount which I find hard to believe and it cost you $350 to have the latest iPhone.

Damn, wish I would have known that before, they told me no. Oh well.

As far as the early upgrade goes I had mixed answers. I think I will just hold off until my early upgrade in September and get the iphone 5 unless there is something too irresistible from android or windows. If I don't get the early upgrade I will complain.

As far as the early upgrade goes I had mixed answers. I think I will just hold off until my early upgrade in September and get the iphone 5 unless there is something too irresistible from android or windows. If I don't get the early upgrade I will complain.

I owned an Android and a Windows based phone, they DO NOT compare to what the iPhone 4, 5, etc.. offer.

There is a difference between "annual upgrade" and "early upgrade", the annual upgrades that Verizon has offered in the past have been for accounts with multiple phone lines, with the primary line, receiving the annual upgrade pricing, while the other lines have to wait for their 2 year contracts to end.

If you only have one line on your account you will have to wait most likely a minimum of 22 months to receive upgrade pricing.

Just to clarify.

I got my Fascinate on 9/11/10. Or 9/10, whatever the launch day is. I'll check how much they're going for on eBay but I feel like I should wait for the 5 no matter when Verizon gets it. I'm not the primary line so I'm not eligible until like April or May of 2012. No way I'm waiting that long but idk how I manage getting an iPhone earlier without paying up the a-s. As badly as I just want to throw Android out the window and get an iPhone tomorrow.

Last edited:

I owned an Android and a Windows based phone, they DO NOT compare to what the iPhone 4, 5, etc.. offer.

There is a difference between "annual upgrade" and "early upgrade", the annual upgrades that Verizon has offered in the past have been for accounts with multiple phone lines, with the primary line, receiving the annual upgrade pricing, while the other lines have to wait for their 2 year contracts to end.

If you only have one line on your account you will have to wait most likely a minimum of 22 months to receive upgrade pricing.

Just to clarify.

I am the only user and I am the primary BUT at the worst I have a 20 month upgrade not 22. My upgrade for my NE2 is on 5/24/12 and I got my Droid x on 9/24/10. As far as the iphone ios being better than android/win7, well I don't want this thread to get into a flame war but there are pros and cons for all three. I like apple because their products are a bit better plus they have the best camera (besides the nokia n8) on a smartphone. The UI is really easy to use and everything just seems to work fluidly on an iphone compared to my droid x. Well, we shall see at the end of sept this year to see if I get that early upgrade.

I got my Fascinate on 9/11/10. Or 9/10, whatever the launch day is. I'll check how much they're going for on eBay but I feel like I should wait for the 5 no matter when Verizon gets it. I'm not the primary line so I'm not eligible until like April or May of 2012. No way I'm waiting that long but idk how I manage getting an iPhone earlier without paying up the a-s. As badly as I just want to throw Android out the window and get an iPhone tomorrow.

I hear ya, I am honestly thinking about terminating my verizon contract if ATT gets the iphone 5 and verizon doesn't this summer. The sale of my Droid x should offset the ETF.

Did VZW do away with 1 year contracts?

They did on Jan 16 of this year. So, if you signed up with verizon before that date, you will be grandfathered in one last time. I spoke to someone at customer service and she said since I signed up in Sept that I have an Annual upgrade on Sept this year. So, I will sign a NEW 2 year contract. I am going to wait until then for the iphone 5 for verizon (hopefully). I know a lot of people are saying how do we know that verizon is even getting one this year? Well, we should since apple releases a new iphone every year PLUS most likely it will be dual chip (gsm and cdma). The verizon Iphone 4 has a deactivated gsm chip in it right now anyway. I will wait on sept to get my iphone.

AT&T's service is still so much worse than Verizon's that I'll just have to stick it out. Trust me, I came pretty close to terminating my contract to get the 4 on AT&T. But my parents have me on their family plan and it's tons cheaper to pay for my line with them than if I went on my own, with them or with AT&T.