What's new

Unlocking Verizon iPhone 4S

kozal01

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end here trying to get a straight answer to this. Our contract with Verizon is up and I'd like to try Straight Talk wireless as they advertise that you can use the phone you already have, on their site it shows an option for the 4S to either activate it as GSM or CDMA. Now the conflicting info I'm getting is whether or not I can use a Verizon iPhone on their network. Straight Talk customer service line said I can only use it on GSM if Verizon would unlock it for me but the Walmart wireless center told me I can use CDMA as long as the phone is unlocked. I called Verizon to find out how to unlock my phone and they claim they don't do it, it's a third party thing. How do I unlock my Verizon phone? Is it even possible?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iPF.net

Officially, the 4S can be used on any and all carriers around the world as the 4S is a world/global phone, so it supports both GSM and CDMA on a single device (hence the 4S just being the 4S and not GSM 4S or CDMA 4S). Unlocking a CDMA device is more expensive than that of a GSM network, even though it's not by much, it's more expensive when purchasing the IMEI service online. The cheapest way to get your device unlocked, would be to buy an interposer, which is a chip that you slip in between the SIM card and the SIM tray. With it, you can use any carrier on your phone as long as it's slipped in between the two.

What Straight Talk (AT&T) is referring to is through official channels. Verizon offers an unlocking service that's only "redeemable" if you notify them ahead of time several months or so, and if you're planning to travel abroad. As international carriers are 99% GSM, that's where the GSM-only restriction comes from. But, if you bring it back into the US, some GSM carriers can be used. If you purchase an IMEI unlock service, it's usable on all GSM and CDMA networks worldwide, but will run you at least $110 as opposed to an interposer running you approximately 20-25 including shipping

I'm at my wits end here trying to get a straight answer to this. Our contract with Verizon is up and I'd like to try Straight Talk wireless as they advertise that you can use the phone you already have, on their site it shows an option for the 4S to either activate it as GSM or CDMA. Now the conflicting info I'm getting is whether or not I can use a Verizon iPhone on their network. Straight Talk customer service line said I can only use it on GSM if Verizon would unlock it for me but the Walmart wireless center told me I can use CDMA as long as the phone is unlocked. I called Verizon to find out how to unlock my phone and they claim they don't do it, it's a third party thing. How do I unlock my Verizon phone? Is it even possible?
i think it can be done but be aware that it is illegal just so you know

Hi,
@willerz2 is right. You will need an interposer. They cost anywhere from $20-$30. R-Sim and GeveySim are two interposers that I know of.