What's new

Unlock / Jailbreak my new Verizon IPhone4 Help

randco

Reaction score
I am new to the IPhone scene and recently switched from the Samsung Fascinate. I had a Blackberry curve prior to that phone. I am very interested in unlocking / jailbreaking my new IPhone but I have several questions.

1. What is the differences in unlocking and jailbreaking my phone?
2. Is one better than the other?
3. My laptop runs Windows 7 and my phone is runnuing version 4.2.6, Itunes constantly tries to get me to upgrade but I always get an error upon trying to load it to the phone. I believe it is version 4.2.8?
4.Which jailbreak program is the best for my phone and laptop operating system?

I appreciate any help on this venture, that is what prompted me to find and join this forum. Thanks

Last edited:
Unlock is about allowing an iPhone to be able to use any carrier sim card to work without issue. Jailbreak is what you have to do first in order to unlock, but you can also jailbreak and avoid unlocking your iDevice in case you do not need an unlock, a jailbreaked iDevice do everything or almost what other devices can do. Bluetooth, themes, ringtones, downloading, etc...
If you don't jailbreak you can't unlock, but you can jailbreak and never have to unlock and take advantages of what cydia offer.
3. My laptop runs Windows 7 and my phone is runnuing version 4.2.6, Itunes constantly tries to get me to upgrade but I always get an error upon trying to load it to the phone. I believe it is version 4.3.?.
You will need to update your iTunes in order to upgrade your phone iOS.
If your phone is a factory unlocked one or if you are not planning to change your carrier ten use redsnow to jailbreak it, if you want to unlock your phone and be able to use another carrier on it, you will need to know what is the baseband of your phone, anyhow you can use snowbreeze to jailbreak it by cooking your own firmware.

I am new to the IPhone scene and recently switched from the Samsung Fascinate. I had a Blackberry curve prior to that phone. I am very interested in unlocking / jailbreaking my new IPhone but I have several questions.

3. My laptop runs Windows 7 and my phone is runnuing version 4.2.6, Itunes constantly tries to get me to upgrade but I always get an error upon trying to load it to the phone. I believe it is version 4.2.8?

I appreciate any help on this venture, that is what prompted me to find and join this forum. Thanks

as a verizon user i doubt you will want or need unlock, but also there is no unlock for verizon and i doubt there will be one. who knows..

jailbreaking though if you want to install 3rd party apps that apple does not approve of then check here

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/hacking-tutorials-guides-68/what-jailbreaking-15928/

also here are some apps that come from jailbreaking..

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/thinking-jailbreaking-but-not-sure-13086/

if you decide you want to give it a go and try some of these apps then use this tutorial for step by step instructions on how to jailbreak

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...tethered-verizon-iphone-4-cdma-redsn0w-15881/

I have tried several times to update both IPhones in our home from 4.2.6 to 4.2.8 on Itunes. I have the newest version of ITunes om both laptops and I keep getting the same errors, network timeout error. The download ranges from 15-25 minutes and it seems to download all but 1 kilobit. The next statement says it is running the update and then I get the error. What can I do be able to update my IPhones and avoid this same error on separate laptops? Thanks

so very slow download speeds, its your connection then, try the direct link to download 4.2.8 http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1022.20110503.5g8k7/iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw

does that help? and if your on windows dont use internet explorer to download it

I am trying that now. DoesITunes use IE instead of Google chrome as the default? I typically use Chrome and was wanting to know if there is a setting to change the default. Thanks for helping a rookie out :)

no, itunes uses neither.. i am saying the download link i gave you to open it in any browser but internet explorer if your on windows.. chrome is good.

no, itunes uses neither.. i am saying the download link i gave you to open it in any browser but internet explorer if your on windows.. chrome is good.

I have downloaded the file from the link to my computer. How do I transfer it to my iphone to update it, use Itunes or an app to transfer it through itunes like my ringer app?

I have downloaded the file from the link to my computer. How do I transfer it to my iphone to update it, use Itunes or an app to transfer it through itunes like my ringer app?
click Shift+Restore in iTunes and locate the downloaded file and ok. iTunes will do the rest.

click Shift+Restore in iTunes and locate the downloaded file and ok. iTunes will do the rest.

Thanks! I got it done. Now on to "jailbreaking" the phone. Thanks again for everyone's help.