What's new

Unlocked iPhone4 But not Jailbroken

imsol

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum as I have only just got an iPhone.

I have an iPhone 4 32gfrom Vodafone Australia which was unlocked using instructions given by Vodafone. I am now overseas permanently but my mum is using my contract.

I want to jailbreak my iPhone but am not sure because on most threads it is recommended that the unlock happens after the jailbreak.

Please give me your suggestions.

Version 4.3.1 (8G4) Modem Firmware 04.10.01

Yes the unlock happen after the jailbreak, and so far as you use vodafone instruction to unlock, I think that your phone is completely unlock now. You can verify that by inserting in the phone another carrier sim card to see if the phone will read the sim card and provide signals with full bars. If yes, you can just jailbreak your phone and you will not need to unlock it again after jailbreaking it. If the phone can not read another carrier other than vodafone sim card, then the phone is not unlocked and you will have troubles after jailbreaking it.

Thanks for your help.

I am already using a sim card in the phone from an overseas network and it works fine.

Does that mean that now i simply have to upgrade the version to 4.3.3 (currently it's 4.3.1) and jailbreak using the instructions in this forum?

Thanks for your help.

I am already using a sim card in the phone from an overseas network and it works fine.

Does that mean that now i simply have to upgrade the version to 4.3.3 (currently it's 4.3.1) and jailbreak using the instructions in this forum?

Do not upgrade yet, first jailbreak the 4.3.1 and save the shsh of 4.3.1 with tinyUmbrella. Only after that, you can consider upgrading then jailbreaking. Because if you don't save your 4.3.1 shsh you will not be able to downgrade back to 4.3.1 once you upgrade to the latest iOS 4.3.3, and nothing promise that you will be satisfy with the latest iOS, so better be safe than sorry. Use the latest redsnow rc16 to jailbreak your current iOS 4.3.1, it should take you less than 1h to
1- backup your iPhone files with iTunes.
2- jailbreak your iOS 4.3.1 using redsnow
3- save your iOS 4.3.1 shsh with tinyUmbrella
4- upgrade your iOS to 4.3.3 using iTunes.
5- jailbreak your iOS 4.3.3 using redsnow.
6- restore your backup to your iPhone using iTunes.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Will give it a shot soon.

All done and working perfectly!
icon14.gif

U should share the instructions that vodafone gave u to unlock ur phone... That would be a big help for rest of us...

Here are the instructions I followed to unlock my vodafone Australia iPhone:

[FONT=&quot]Apple iPhone Unlocking Procedure[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY UNLOCK PROCESS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Before you can unlock your iPhone, make sure that you have done the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Your computer is connected to the Internet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You have iTunes version 7.7 or later in your computer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Insert your Vodafone SIM card and turn on the iPhone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Open the iTunes program and connect the iPhone to the computer using the USB cable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Wait until your iPhone appears in the Devices and select your iPhone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Open the Summary tab and make sure you can see the information about your iPhone. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. In the summary screen, click the Restore button.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. If prompted to back up your iPhone. Make sure that you select or click the Back Up button.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Warning: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you do not back up your iPhone, all your saved media and other data will be erased and you may not be able to recover it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
mail

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. A confirmation window will appear to restore your iPhone. Make sure that you select or click the Restore and Update button to continue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
mail
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Read the “Important Information” displayed on the screen as this will describe to you the improvements included in the software update version. Click the Next button to continue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. You will be prompted to read and agree with the “Software License Agreement”. Click Agree button to continue. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. Wait until the process is completed. Do not interrupt your computer or disconnect the iPhone from the USB cable. You will notice that the software will be downloaded by your computer from the iTunes store. A progress message will be displayed during the entire process.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Note: This process may take awhile. Depending on your internet connection and the software update file, this process can take at least 30 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
mail
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11. Once your iPhone has been restored, the iPhone will automatically restart. Do not disconnect your iPhone. Leave it until it re-appears in iTunes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
mail

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12. Your iPhone will automatically connect to iTunes store and will be activated and unlocked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]13. You should now be able to use your iPhone with other operator’s SIM card. [/FONT]