What's new

Unable to receive or make calls on iPhone X

passingnts

Reaction score
Hello. During the past month I’ve been having the following issue with my iPhone X: I am unable to make calls (the service drops to zero after I place the call) or to receive calls (whenever I am called, the service also drops to zero, and stays like that for a few seconds; the person calling me is informed that the person they are calling is unavailable). The cellular data and text messages work perfectly fine though, which is very odd. Inserting the SIM card inside my old iPhone 6 would allow me to place and receive calls normally, which makes me believe that the problem is not the SIM card, but the phone itself.
For a short period of time, I was able to find a workaround: switching from 4G to 3G or 2G in Settings-Cellular-Cellular Data Options-Voice&Data, allowed me to place calls and receive calls without any problem. Sometimes even switching back to 4G right after would make the calls work perfectly fine, but just for a brief moment, like an hour or so.
Right now, switching to 3G/2G doesn`t work anymore on my iPhone X: the service drops to 0 and stays like that forever.
I have yet to try inserting another SIM card inside my iPhone X…maybe there’s a problems with how the two ‘’get along’’, but I doubt it…I checked and the phone has the latest version of iOS installed. It's also worth mentioning that I've already tried resetting the network settings, but that didn't fix the problem. Also, the phone is no longer covered by any sort of warranty.
What could the problem be? Is it something about the hardware, like the antenna? Do you think there could be an easy fix, until I will be able to buy a new phone? Thank!

Hello. During the past month I’ve been having the following issue with my iPhone X: I am unable to make calls (the service drops to zero after I place the call) or to receive calls (whenever I am called, the service also drops to zero, and stays like that for a few seconds; the person calling me is informed that the person they are calling is unavailable). The cellular data and text messages work perfectly fine though, which is very odd. Inserting the SIM card inside my old iPhone 6 would allow me to place and receive calls normally, which makes me believe that the problem is not the SIM card, but the phone itself.
For a short period of time, I was able to find a workaround: switching from 4G to 3G or 2G in Settings-Cellular-Cellular Data Options-Voice&Data, allowed me to place calls and receive calls without any problem. Sometimes even switching back to 4G right after would make the calls work perfectly fine, but just for a brief moment, like an hour or so.
Right now, switching to 3G/2G doesn`t work anymore on my iPhone X: the service drops to 0 and stays like that forever.
I have yet to try inserting another SIM card inside my iPhone X…maybe there’s a problems with how the two ‘’get along’’, but I doubt it…I checked and the phone has the latest version of iOS installed. It's also worth mentioning that I've already tried resetting the network settings, but that didn't fix the problem. Also, the phone is no longer covered by any sort of warranty.
What could the problem be? Is it something about the hardware, like the antenna? Do you think there could be an easy fix, until I will be able to buy a new phone? Thank!
Your iPhone may be out of warranty, but Apple will run a free diagnostics check on it if you can get to one of their stores. You may need to make an appointment.