What's new

No voice calls with my 5s

kongpup

Reaction score
We live in a rural area with mediocre AT&T service and have been using a Wilson DB Pro 4g amplifier which has provided a fairly strong and stable signal for years. Suddenly, about a month ago, I was no longer able to make voice calls with the phone, but text and data are fine and the Mrs's 6 plus also works fine. When trying to make a call, my 5s shows a call attempt being made, but there is no ringing and after a few moments, shows call failed. Phone works fine once I get over the hill and into town. Updated to ios 11, restored network settings, restored factory defaults, replaced sim card - no difference. Thanks for any suggestions.

This was happening before you updated to iOS 11.
Have you tried resetting your iPhone
Holding the on and off switches the screen will go blank after a few seconds the Apple will appear release both switches the iPhone will restart itself.
You just need to put in your password then try it again.
If that doesn't help come back

This was happening before you updated to iOS 11.
Have you tried resetting your iPhone
Holding the on and off switches the screen will go blank after a few seconds the Apple will appear release both switches the iPhone will restart itself.
You just need to put in your password then try it again.
If that doesn't help come back
Yes, tried the resets and restores. Also spoke with the salesman at the AT&T store - he's the one who suggested replacing sim card.

Have you tried resetting your 4G amplifier?
The only reset that I'm aware of with this unit would be to unplug it and power it back up. I've tried that - is there another way?

The only reset that I'm aware of with this unit would be to unplug it and power it back up. I've tried that - is there another way?
Not that I know.
Since your iPhone works properly when not using the signal from the amplifier, the problem is almost certainly in the amplifier. Is it new enough to be under warranty?

No, it's a few years old - also, the Mrs's 6+ works fine in the amplified zone.

No, it's a few years old - also, the Mrs's 6+ works fine in the amplified zone.
It's entirely possible for one iPhone to work with such an amplifier when another one doesn't. The fact that yours has a proper cellular connection elsewhere says that the problem is not with the iPhone.

It's entirely possible for one iPhone to work with such an amplifier when another one doesn't. The fact that yours has a proper cellular connection elsewhere says that the problem is not with the iPhone.
So it would seem.

My iPhone 5s had the same problem, no calling until l went outside, l changed to a pay as you go card from Telekom some months back. The signal was fine.
At last the old contract has ended and l no longer have to waste money on it.

Must admit it’s frustrating to see them advertising on TV about how fantastic there Service is, all over Germany. They don’t point out that you need to be outside.
In certain areas.

Bought a refurbed 6S. Set the phone up and the problem was exactly the same. Went to the ATT store (where it worked, and was told that it was fine). Called ATT service the next day and described the issue (phone works away from home, but not at home even though the Mrs's 6S+ works fine). Luckily, I had a curious tech. At first, he was perplexed by the situation, then suggested that my signal was just too weak. Then he said, "let me try one more thing - Ok try it now" and the phone worked. I was so surprised that I forgot to ask what he had done on his end, but at least the thing is finally working.

Didn't try it, but I would guess that it does.