What's new

UK O2 Iphone 4 Unlock?

Dred

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Need some help, been looking into this for a month and still no answers so thought i would try here.

My wife has been given an brand new O2 Iphone 4 never been used. Problem is she is locked into her Orange pay monthly contract for another 18 months. We have been given a micro sim by Orange but it won't work in the phone until we unlock it.

O2 won't unlock it as we are not on a pay monthly contract, I have looked on the internet at loads of websites but not sure which ones to trust or not plus they all seem very expensive.

Is there a way I can unlock this for free or at least for a small fee? How do i know it will work? Once unlocked is there any features on the phone that won't work?

If you need to know what firmware / baseband i'm using how do i check that? The phone won't do anything as it has no sim in it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys.

Need some help, been looking into this for a month and still no answers so thought i would try here.

My wife has been given an brand new O2 Iphone 4 never been used. Problem is she is locked into her Orange pay monthly contract for another 18 months. We have been given a micro sim by Orange but it won't work in the phone until we unlock it.

O2 won't unlock it as we are not on a pay monthly contract, I have looked on the internet at loads of websites but not sure which ones to trust or not plus they all seem very expensive.

Is there a way I can unlock this for free or at least for a small fee? How do i know it will work? Once unlocked is there any features on the phone that won't work?

If you need to know what firmware / baseband i'm using how do i check that? The phone won't do anything as it has no sim in it.

Thanks

o2 customers have the ability to unlock as many devices as they want (if they have a contract phone) so if you know some one on a contract then ask them about it and they might be able to unlock your device with out the need for these software or hardware unlocks that are just hassle.

To unlock the iphone 4 you must be on the 01.59 baseband and you can check by downloading the f0recast app that can be downloaded here for windows or mac: iH8sn0w.com

if you have baseband 01.59 I can show you a tutorial or just check in the tutorial section here and it is there, also note that you will not lose any functionality using ultrasn0w.

If you do not have baseband 01.59 then software wise you are out of luck for now until the devs come up with a new unlock. But you can use sim solutions such as gevey sim that is supposed to work with all basebands and firmware.

When it comes to software unlocks NEVER pay for unlock OR jailbreak.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded the program from the link you gave me.

It says baseband 04.10.01

Jailbreak = Yes (with redsn0w)
Unlockable = No

So i take it this means I cannot unlock and the only way is through O2?

yep thats exactly it, but if you where able to use unlock methods it does not mean that you would be permanently unlocked. It means once you upgrade firmware the device we re lock so you have to worry about what baseband you are on and make sure there is even an unlock and have to upgrade while preserving the baseband.. all a lot of hassle that in my opinion is not worth it, I would just try going through o2 for a perm unlock.

Gevey sim will bring him nothing but problems and there is no garante it will always work, the o2 option is the best way imo

I've unlocked 20+ iPhone4s with Gevey Ultra SIM and never once had a problem. As long as you get an authentic one you'll be fine, and it is guaranteed to work on all firmwares and basebands through iOS5 beta 2

Here's a link to request unlock from O2
O2 iPhone Unlock

My opinion is although given away, effectively the person who owns the contract still owns the phone, my guess is the previous owner will need to contact O2 on your wife's behalf, otherwise we get into the beloved 'data protection act' responses that customer services so enjoy spouting.

I'm curious to know if this phone was an 'on contract' upgrade, would 02 or any provider still unlock it for a 'stranger' and so soon?

well the carriers in the uk do unlock for pay as you go customers but they say you have to have had the phone for X amount of time until they basically get the money from you for the cost of the device otherwise they just lose a tone of cash

Hi guys.

Thanks for your help.

Originally trying the O2 route but not having too much success so far.

It's a weird situation, my dad had a free upgrade on his O2 business account, so he has just given the phone to my wife. It's never been used but will be locked to O2.

So i have no account with O2 and i can't go through my dad's O2 business account as don't think he should be giving the phone away.

I have asked O2 if they could send me a sim (pay and go or whatever) as it appears you need an account with them before they can unlock it. Not confident this is gonna work so may look at the sim option someone else mentioned.

Dred said:
Hi guys.

Thanks for your help.

Originally trying the O2 route but not having too much success so far.

It's a weird situation, my dad had a free upgrade on his O2 business account, so he has just given the phone to my wife. It's never been used but will be locked to O2.

So i have no account with O2 and i can't go through my dad's O2 business account as don't think he should be giving the phone away.

I have asked O2 if they could send me a sim (pay and go or whatever) as it appears you need an account with them before they can unlock it. Not confident this is gonna work so may look at the sim option someone else mentioned.

It used to be you needed a jail broken phone, the new version of that chip apparently now behaves after reboots, but think if you do any updates you ave use it again.

I looked online, there is a firm who will produce the code legitimately for 85 Euro's from your IMEI number, it takes iirc a day. you have to have a working sim from the network to use for this unlock, assume payg is fine.

It is expensive but also permanent and guaranteed

Hi guys, thanks for all the help again. Just to let you know I eventually got O2 to do it. I had to go to an O2 shop and get a PAYG Iphone 4 sim card and put £15 credit on it, then fill in the unblocking form on their website. After a couple of days the phone was unlocked they had debited £15 off the PAYG sim and the orange sim card my wife has works in the phone no problem.

A hassle free experience in the end and a permanent unlock apparently.

I got 3 to unlock our phones. Hassle free and no invalidated warranty. I don't know why everyone (except USA) goes for ultrasnow when this option is out there...

I got 3 to unlock our phones. Hassle free and no invalidated warranty. I don't know why everyone (except USA) goes for ultrasnow when this option is out there...

Even America have them factory unlocked now but some one told me that AT&T don't do unlocks? But even then if it was me I would sell it and buy one unlocked before I would ever rely on ultrasn0w.