What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

Hi guys, any news about the baseband 05.16.05? I mean any upgrade or change for a new one? I'm still stocked in this s*** ! Thanks in advance!

Redsn0w has not "improved" it's jailbreak process.

It just added a new one. The backup/restore jailbreak for A5 devices that also works on A4.

The DFU ramdisk jailbreak is here to "stay" and is not going anywhere.......*ever*.

And one day (*hopefully*) A5 devices will "get to have" a DFU ramdisk jailbreak is well...instead of relying on the very patchable userland exploit that the "one click" jailbreak method uses.

The DFU ramdisk jailbreak is "what you want" on all devices. Not a user landjailbreak....even if the user land JB is just a "click of a button"....still isn't half as good as a good hardware DFU jailbreak...no matter what.

zig9449 said:
Redsn0w has not "improved" it's jailbreak process.

It just added a new one. The backup/restore jailbreak for A5 devices that also works on A4.

The DFU ramdisk jailbreak is here to "stay" and is not going anywhere.......*ever*.

And one day (*hopefully*) A5 devices will "get to have" a DFU ramdisk jailbreak is well...instead of relying on the very patchable userland exploit that the "one click" jailbreak method uses.

The DFU ramdisk jailbreak is "what you want" on all devices. Not a user landjailbreak....even if the user land JB is just a "click of a button"....still isn't half as good as a good hardware DFU jailbreak...no matter what.

What's the difference?

ebrahim_yusuf said:
What's the difference?

The difference is that if the device had a DFU jailbreak...then that would mean that it has a *permanent* jailbreak exploit....like the iPhone 4 and lower models do.

zig9449 said:
The difference is that if the device had a DFU jailbreak...then that would mean that it has a *permanent* jailbreak exploit....like the iPhone 4 and lower models do.

What's the advantage of that?
(just trying to learn as much as possible from you.)

The advantage is that Apple cannot patch the bootrom exploit because it exists in the hardware not the software. For devices without a bootrom exploit, Apple can release a new firmware to patch a jailbreak and also firmware downgrading relies on the same bootrom exploit, so if you are a user with a 4S, iPad2 or iPad3 and you update to a new firmware which patches a jailbreak, you then have to wait until a new jailbreak is developed, with no way of downgrading back to a jailbreakable firmware(once the SHSH stops being signed).

For users with devices susceptible to the bootrom exploit, Apple can only patch their untethered jailbreaks. These devices will always be susceptible to at least a tethered jailbreak regardless of what firmware updates Apple releases. Beyond this, these devices will also be able to freely downgrade/upgrade to any previous firmware as long as they have saved their SHSH key while it was being signed.

for iPhone4S it even doesn't need to be put into DFU mode, just connect to iTunes normally and redsn0w will take care the rest.
Wait around 2-3 minutes, and voila, jailbroken!! :D

britpoper said:
for iPhone4S it even doesn't need to be put into DFU mode, just connect to iTunes normally and redsn0w will take care the rest.
Wait around 2-3 minutes, and voila, jailbroken!! :D

This was already stated. Because this was already stated is why I said DFU is *better*....but unfortunately...the iPhone 4S cannot use that method...and this is why I am not even buying the 4S...when the 4S is able to use a bootrom DFU exploit to jailbreak...that's is when I will buy it.