What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

I've got an iphone4 factory unlocked and i was trying to jailbreak it. The redsn0w (on windows XP) kept crashing when I enter the DFU mode and its detecting the firmware. So I switched to another PC and now its not detecting the device in DFU mode.
Help please? :(

On the "new" PC you must have latest iTunes installed in order to have the DFU mode drivers.

On the original PC, if you cannot detect the firmware, review the section of the tutorial marked "6. Problems?" - The instructions there are designed to get you past that specific problem.

On the "new" PC you must have latest iTunes installed in order to have the DFU mode drivers.

On the original PC, if you cannot detect the firmware, review the section of the tutorial marked "6. Problems?" - The instructions there are designed to get you past that specific problem.

Thanks for replying. I have the latest iTunes on the other PC, upgraded it as well just in case but it wasnt detected any device in DFU mode.
So I went on DFU mode before clicking on 'next' and it started the process until it gave this 'Exploit Error'.
So its not working on the 'new' pc.

And on my original PC the redsn0w keeps crashing.

I suppose there's something wrong with the firmware that I downloaded from iTunes?

And I tried the 6th step as well. This happened. $2.jpg

So there goes my last option as well.

I finally found a way to get on with the process. Just needed to run redsn0w on the administrator. I'm on the pineapple now. Hope it goes fine.

The guide has been updated to cater for the 5.1 tethered jailbreak for A4 devices too... :)

Hi, my redsn0w is stuck on "exploiting with limera1n." I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with an ipod touch 4g running iOS 5.1 and iTunes 10.6. I don't know how else to fix this. I've tried restoring the ipod and jailbreaking again (didn't work). I tried running redsn0w in administrator mode, compatibility mode for windows xp sp 2 and 3 and lots of combinations of those. I tried restarting my computer, the ipod, reinstalling itunes, everything! Is there anything else I can try? :(

TheMadWaffle said:
Hi, my redsn0w is stuck on "exploiting with limera1n." I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with an ipod touch 4g running iOS 5.1 and iTunes 10.6. I don't know how else to fix this. I've tried restoring the ipod and jailbreaking again (didn't work). I tried running redsn0w in administrator mode, compatibility mode for windows xp sp 2 and 3 and lots of combinations of those. I tried restarting my computer, the ipod, reinstalling itunes, everything! Is there anything else I can try? :(

Delete redsn0w (everything) and download it from any browser you don't normally use. Doesn't matter which one. Just not the one you used to download the first one. Or download it on a guest account on your PC.
Extract the zip to your desktop. Open the folder.

Drag redsn0w.exe to your desktop. Right click,,,click run as administrator..

Should work now;)

Delete redsn0w (everything) and download it from any browser you don't normally use. Doesn't matter which one. Just not the one you used to download the first one. Or download it on a guest account on your PC.
Extract the zip to your desktop. Open the folder.

Drag redsn0w.exe to your desktop. Right click,,,click run as administrator..

Should work now;)

That didn't work either D: I even downloaded Safari to download the latest version of redsn0w.
Before trying this, the loading bar would be almost full, it'd be two bars away from full. But after trying this method it's only loaded three bars. Anything else? :(

TheMadWaffle said:
That didn't work either D: I even downloaded Safari to download the latest version of redsn0w.
Before trying this, the loading bar would be almost full, it'd be two bars away from full. But after trying this method it's only loaded three bars. Anything else? :(

Downloading Safari was pretty unnecessary. All you needed to do was use a different browser.

Did you try downloading it on a guest account on your computer?

Downloading Safari was pretty unnecessary. All you needed to do was use a different browser.

Did you try downloading it on a guest account on your computer?

Well I use Internet explorer a little bit but I considered it to be one of my regular browsers so I decided to use safari. Should I try with IE anyways?
And yes I tried the guest account. Still gives me three bars. Would the program I use to extract the zip matter? I use alzip.

TheMadWaffle said:
Well I use Internet explorer a little bit but I considered it to be one of my regular browsers so I decided to use safari. Should I try with IE anyways?
And yes I tried the guest account. Still gives me three bars. Would the program I use to extract the zip matter? I use alzip.

I dot think the extractor would matter...but I highly recommend 7-Zip. It's the best one and it's 100% free. Look up the latest "beta" version of 7-Zip. Use that. There is no file it cannot extract. it can even unpack deb files. (tho that's off subject..sorry).

Before trying anything else..right click on redsn0w.exe. Click on "Properties"
Click the "Compatibility" tab.
Click on the box beside "Run this program in Compatibility Mode". Make sure "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" is selected.

Then on the very bottom, under "Privilege Level" click the box "Run this program as admin". This way it's already set to run as admin...n won't have to do so every time you open it.

If that does not work:

Also...I recommend you use Mozilla Fire Fox. It's the best browser to download IPSW's & jailbreak tools.

I use to be a IE user but once i started using Fire Fox...I couldn't go back to anything else..tho I use Safari from time to time.

I would install Mozilla FireFox. If ya want...download the latest beta...they always seem a lil faster.

But any way...download and install Mozilla Fire Fox. Use that.

Also make sure you download the latest resdsn0w from here:

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.10b6.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Do as I said...extract with 7-Zip....drag the redsn0w.exe to desktop and so on.

Post back...let me know how it goes. I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve.

I dot think the extractor would matter...but I highly recommend 7-Zip. It's the best one and it's 100% free. Look up the latest "beta" version of 7-Zip. Use that. There is no file it cannot extract. it can even unpack deb files. (tho that's off subject..sorry).

Before trying anything else..right click on redsn0w.exe. Click on "Properties"
Click the "Compatibility" tab.
Click on the box beside "Run this program in Compatibility Mode". Make sure "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" is selected.

Then on the very bottom, under "Privilege Level" click the box "Run this program as admin". This way it's already set to run as admin...n won't have to do so every time you open it.

If that does not work:

Also...I recommend you use Mozilla Fire Fox. It's the best browser to download IPSW's & jailbreak tools.

I use to be a IE user but once i started using Fire Fox...I couldn't go back to anything else..tho I use Safari from time to time.

I would install Mozilla FireFox. If ya want...download the latest beta...they always seem a lil faster.

But any way...download and install Mozilla Fire Fox. Use that.

Also make sure you download the latest resdsn0w from here:

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.10b6.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Do as I said...extract with 7-Zip....drag the redsn0w.exe to desktop and so on.

Post back...let me know how it goes. I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve.

Alrighty then. Ill try this to tonight if possible. If not I'll have to do it tomorrow

Alright, I think I got it! I tried using my ancient windows xp to jailbreak it using the same method (downloading via FireFox and extracting to desktop, blah blah) and it's gotten past "exploiting with limera1n"! I think it'll work from here, seeing as I've never gotten this far
Thanks for the help! :D

TheMadWaffle said:
Alright, I think I got it! I tried using my ancient windows xp to jailbreak it using the same method (downloading via FireFox and extracting to desktop, blah blah) and it's gotten past "exploiting with limera1n"! I think it'll work from here, seeing as I've never gotten this far
Thanks for the help! :D

Cool.

Each time i jailbreak my iPhone and I download Winterboard it makes my iPhone respring every 5 sec and I have to redo everything and I tried to get Callbar and it did the same thing? Is anyone else having these problems? Or is it just me?