What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

I did-didn't work.

I finally got it jailbreaked by using a different laptop. Think it's my USB 3.0 ports. Might be that red snow application can't read the data fast enough.....who knows.

A bit weird as I tried everything on my own laptop 10-15 times with different combinations. Nothing worked. Tried once on the other laptop and worked fist time. Both had same op system (windows 7) and same antivirus.

Bazzab1975 said:
I did-didn't work.

I finally got it jailbreaked by using a different laptop. Think it's my USB 3.0 ports. Might be that red snow application can't read the data fast enough.....who knows.

A bit weird as I tried everything on my own laptop 10-15 times with different combinations. Nothing worked. Tried once on the other laptop and worked fist time. Both had same op system (windows 7) and same antivirus.

Then it could be the usb.

Do you absolutely need version 5.0.1? I have 5.0 not 5.0.1 and I don't want to get 5.0.1 because I've heard people say that it shortens your battery life.

Do you absolutely need version 5.0.1? I have 5.0 not 5.0.1 and I don't want to get 5.0.1 because I've heard people say that it shortens your battery life.

If you want untethered jailbreak (the kind that you don't have to hook up your iphone to the computer every time you turn it off and back on), yes you need to go to 5.0.1

I am very very new to this! I just got my 3GS IPHONE with modem firmware 05.16.05 and version 5.0.1 (9A405) which I got under the ABOUT in General Settings. I have already downloaded, redsn0w 0.9 10b4 for Windows from Dev-Team Blog which says to run in Administrator mode. Is this the right Jailbreak Program for my phone and if it is how do I run it it Administrator mode? I just have it sitting in a folder right now, Thanks

jcamaro said:
I am very very new to this! I just got my 3GS IPHONE with modem firmware 05.16.05 and version 5.0.1 (9A405) which I got under the ABOUT in General Settings. I have already downloaded, redsn0w 0.9 10b4 for Windows from Dev-Team Blog which says to run in Administrator mode. Is this the right Jailbreak Program for my phone and if it is how do I run it it Administrator mode? I just have it sitting in a folder right now, Thanks

Hi
This is the right jailbreak tool for your phone.

We care about the modem firmware ONLY if you require an unlock.

If you dont, you just run redsn0w, hit jailbreak and install cydia, turn off the phone and follow the exact you instructions, and ONLY TICK "install cydia" when asked and then when the procedure is done you are good to go

jcamaro said:

Your baseband is only if your trying to unlock in other words unlockers ate usually the only once that should worry about the baseband (modem firmware)

What about the run in Administrator mode? How do I do that? Like I said I'm new but UNLOCK is only if I want to go on another carrier, right? I have a 2 year contract right now so I don't think I'm going anywhere. I have heard that I want a untether is that right?

jcamaro said:
What about the run in Administrator mode? How do I do that? Like I said I'm new but UNLOCK is only if I want to go on another carrier, right? I have a 2 year contract right now so I don't think I'm going anywhere. I have heard that I want a untether is that right?

Jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.10b4 IS untethered (means you dont need to redo the process every time you turn on the phone).

If you have windows xp you need to right click redsn0w and run as administrator otherwise no.
I suggest you do a bit of research because simple as it is, jailbreak isnt just a procedure, there is a lot to it.

I was JB before the upgrade to 5.0.1 and now with verision this redn0w i'm not getting past the 'Limera-exploiting device screen on windows and phone doesn't JB. I get to DFU with no problem. I didn't use pawnage this time as I did before since I didn't see it anywhere it was needed but I did before in my previous JB, could this be the hang up? Thanks!

thanks for this guide its easy to understand even for a beginer like me. i am about to do my first practical jailbreak as previously i use jailbreakme.com i have downloaded redsnow from the link u gave and now downloading the iso5 firmware.less i forget i use an iphone4 32gb factory unlock on 4.3.3 jailbroken with no probs.now i cant upgrade my itunes as i learnt i need the latest itunes 10.5.3 to upgrade to ios5 so i tried downloading but when it gets to 99% it got stop and not moving.i also tried the apple update software on my windows7 pc same thing.now i dont know what to do next.plz try understand should i say something out of order.thanks

i tried using the hold itunes i have after i download the firmware held shift button and tried ugrading and i got error 21 now my phone is in restore mode.i also tried the restore using same itunes but it tells me about to install firmware 4.3.5 while previously i was on 4.3.3
i am so confused now.i uninstalled my itunes trying to download another or get an install from friend.so thats where i am.still has no help from the forum.i miss my friend unleached and imelina they always help me,plz someone come to my rescue if i have not totaly messed up the phone.thanks

thanks for this guide its easy to understand even for a beginer like me. i am about to do my first practical jailbreak as previously i use jailbreakme.com i have downloaded redsnow from the link u gave and now downloading the iso5 firmware.less i forget i use an iphone4 32gb factory unlock on 4.3.3 jailbroken with no probs.now i cant upgrade my itunes as i learnt i need the latest itunes 10.5.3 to upgrade to ios5 so i tried downloading but when it gets to 99% it got stop and not moving.i also tried the apple update software on my windows7 pc same thing.now i dont know what to do next.plz try understand should i say something out of order.thanks

You tried downloading what? 4.3.3 or iOS 5?
Are you on iOS 5+ and now trying to downgrade or you are on 4.3.3 and trying to upgrade to ios 5?

bab2010 said:
You tried downloading what? 4.3.3 or iOS 5?
Are you on iOS 5+ and now trying to downgrade or you are on 4.3.3 and trying to upgrade to ios 5?

I was on 4.3.3 but now I got it all solve thanks though.i am on 5.0.1 now. Used redsnow to jailbreak. But my iTunes on phone and safari is not working. It goes off as soon as a touch it to come up. Plz what can I do. It was working fine after jailbreak. But now about 2hrs after that it's not anymore. I mean my phones iTunes and safari.