What's new

TinyUmbrella won't detect my iphone 4 in DFU mode

mimimimimi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

some days ago I downloaded a file on cydia. Since then my iphone 4 has been stuck on the apple logo.
My FW is 4.1 and my baseband is 01.59.00, and i rely on JB and unlock ;). So i decided to restore my phone,
but tinyumbrella does not detect my device when it is in DFU mode. It only detects it in recovery mode,
but in order to preserve my baseband I will have to put it in DFU mode, right?

What should I do?

TinyUmbrella only needs to detect your phone in order to save SHSH, if you already have your 4.1 SHSH it doens't matter if TU detects your phone or not, just start the TSS server and shift+restore the firmware.

If you don't have your 4.1 SHSH there's no way for you to restore 4.1.

that sounds great! I have saved the SHSH before so that won't be a problem. But are you 100% sure that the baseband will not update, even if TU doesnt detect my phone?
(and does TU usually detect iphones in DFU mode?)

Sorry for asking again but Im just a little scared because my phone would otherwise be trash ...

You need to restore a custom firmware if you want to preserve your baseband.

What do you mean by "custom" firmware? I did download firmware 4.1, the exact name of the file is iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore(2).ipsw . That's what I wanted to use.. is this wrong?

@f4780y: thank you, thats good to know ;)

I mean a pre-cooked firmware made with sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool. The firmware you listed is a factory firmware, if you update with that firmware it will update your baseband.

But I already installed FW 4.1, about a year ago, preserving my baseband. ( before I had 4.0.2) And I think I used a factory firmware...
well how will I get a firmware made with sn0wbreete or pwnage tool then?

You can't preserve baseband with factory firmware. It MUST be a custom firmware in order to preserve baseband, maybe 4.1 only has the 01.59.00 baseband, I don't know.

ok, then a tutorial I just read is wrong. I just thought TU would be the program preventing the baseband from being upgraded. How can I get a custom firmware though?

No, TU is just to trick iTunes into verifying a restore that is no longer being signed. Like I said before you need to create a custom 4.1 firmware with sn0wbreeze or pwnage tool.

Ok thank you very much! I will try and let you know how it went, but it still confuses me because I definitely didn't create a custom firmware when I upgraded from 4.0.2 to 4.1 ;)