What's new

Bricked iPhone 4! DFU & Recovery mode don't work! :/

eric1122

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new!
smile.gif

I can't boot past the apple logo, I have (HAD lol) a JB iPhone 4 on iOS 5.

It will hang at the Apple logo (it did all night last night) and I can put it into DFU and Recovery modes but it will not restore form eiter of these modes (tried iOS 5 & 5.0.1 on Mac & PChttp://modmyi.com/#) Is there any way I can access the file system in either of those modes or whilst stuck on the Apple logo? Apparently removing the battery for a period of time might work as well?

Software used (all latest versions) :
iExplorer
DiskAid
TinyUmbrella
Redsn0w (JB)
PhoneView

Thanks.

Below is what my iPhone showed after I tried to re-jailbreak (this was after I had tried everything else).
$PICT0068.jpg

I can get to the Jailbreak stage in Redsn0w where you select options - is there a custom bundle I can use to reset the phone, change it or remove apps?

While its sitting @ the Apple logo... connect it to your computer & bring up redsn0w. Select "Extras", be sure to point it @ the 5.0 ipsw, then run "Just Boot."

Don't I have to put it into DFU to "just boot"? it times out otherwise and tells me I've misunderstood the DFU instructions (I've used DFU too many times to count, so it's not that!) Is there a specific version of Redsn0w I should be using other then 0.9.9b7? Thanks :)

When I do 'Just boot' it fails.

Last edited:
eric1122 said:
Don't I have to put it into DFU to "just boot"? it times out otherwise and tells me I've misunderstood the DFU instructions (I've used DFU too many times to count, so it's not that!) Is there a specific version of Redsn0w I should be using other then 0.9.9b7? Thanks :)

I think 0.9.9b8 is the most recent release. Make sure you're pointing @ 5.0... follow the instructions redsn0w gives you... I was trying to DFU in my own to Just Boot and couldn't get it.

Trust me when I say I have done this many times on 0.9.9b7 and several on b8. Tried various firmwares and it does start to jailbreak (again) if I go down that route but it just shows whats in that image above.

I really don't know why it won't restore I've tried everything on Redsn0w and every way of restoring on iTunes! :/

damn! i have the same problem, iphone 4 tethered @ 5.0. stuck at apple logo, can't restore with itunes, cant "just boot". redsnow hangs at "waiting for reboot" (the phone reboots, but just into the logo loop). When itunes tries to restore (recovery mode or DFU), after "prepairing iphone for restore" the iphone reboots and itunes gets lost and shows me a 21 error.... I don't see any options here ://

well i have an idea, since its so easy to remove the battery from the iphone 4, will it do a kind of "hard-reset" ? has anyone tried that?

im not stupid, if i said itunes wont restore, means i did everything described above. even the local apple dealers could not restore the iphone.....

swatsqad said:
im not stupid, if i said itunes wont restore, means i did everything described above. even the local apple dealers could not restore the iphone.....

I don't think I called you stupid, so check the attitude. As a staff member of the forum, I am trying to help, and the failsafe method is known to work in the absence of a hardware issue. Saying you tried a restore in iTunes is not the same as following that guide, which is designed specifically to eliminate all the potential problems with a restore. I am not a mind reader! Nor do I have any idea how clever your local Apple dealers are, since that's the first your've mentioned them. In my experience most of them wouldn't entertain even looking at a jailbroken device.

Finally, you only mention 5.0 in your post, and you CANNOT restore that under any circumstances. You can only restore 5.0.1.

Good luck.

Last edited:
now ur mocking me again, i know i cant restore to 5.0 :/ nothing worked, people were telling me its bricked. but, wait for it..... I FIXED IT :] dont know if this helps others with similar problems, but here's what i did:
1) removed the back cover of the iphone, disconnected the battery, waited 5 minutes, reconnected everything up again (NOT sure if this was what fixed it, probably not though.)
2) used snowbreze to make a jailbroken 5.0.1 (snowbreze also put the phone in pwned dfu)
3) restored it with itunes by pressing shift + restore.
really hope this helps someone out! cheers.

Great job, im glad you were finally able to get it working again.