What's new

So I just got my Verizon Iphone 4S today, is ready to activate, what to do first?

andgmart

Reaction score
In the box I got the Iphone 4S, a bag to donate my old phone to domestic violence victims, my customer receipt and a wuick activation and setup guide.
-The guide in step one says to turn on the phone and follow the setup assistant.( hello? What about charging the phone first? or it's my new phone already fully charged? this phone was shipped yesterday by fedex and who knows how long was on storage?
There is no instructions in the box for charging the phone for first time.
-Then says to activate the iphone choose a Wi-FI network.(what about intruction on setting your wi-fi network and private password so the phone goes through wi-fi? it says if wi-fi is not available, tap connect to itunes(hey I don't have an Itunes account yet!! what about getting an itunes account first and download itunes to my pc? or it means to downlod ituns to the phone?
-then says it takes 3 minute to activate, I'm porting my number from my old carrier, what happens to my oldphone in that instance? its blocked? waht about my contacts, should I copy my contacts in a directory first? I still have 2 weeks paid ahead on my old service carrier, should I wait to activate my phone until my service expire on my old carrier so I don't loose the money for paid service?
- Verizon warns about a first big bill including partial month usage + one month ahead in service+ charges, taxes and fees? (when does Verizon do cur the billing period to avoid a huge partial month charge in my first bill?
I have so many questions and not enough info in this little box that arrived from fedex. That I feel its going to be a long night in this forum for me before I dear turn on for first time the iphone.

Turn it on and follow the steps. Its really simple. And its already charged...

thank you for your answer, but really hopping for a little more info.

Download iTunes, plug in iPhone, follow the steps... It's really that easy. It will automatically activate with your carrier, no dialing *228 to activate.

microsnook said:
Turn it on and follow the steps. Its really simple. And its already charged...

+1...hey op this is how you set your device up from the box. If you don't have a iTunes apple id. Create one. The instructions are simple. If you have any other concerns please search before posting as most issues have been discussed.

I'm downloading itunes 10.5 to my pc running windows vista, here is a lot of info posted in my thread that it not disccussed at all, can't find it anywere, still feel not ready to start, I know the activating instructions are simple but I feel all this questions I posted must be answered before I procede with this simple task.

dudeitsmattx said:
Haha wow I have never seen someone to scared to use a phone. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Come on just turn it on and enjoy.

+1...you need iTunes 10.5 in order to use the 4s...the only thing you really have to use iTunes for is backing up and adding music/pictures if you're not going to use itunes wifi sync. you're going to have to call Verizon CS for the number porting. Just charge the phone and enjoy. We can't help you with your bill but I can tell you that you're going to get charged a $35 activation fee, probably a $15 number change, that partial charge and you might get a monthly insurance charge if you decided to opt-in for it. You won't know how much it is until you get the bill...my first bill was $186 but you might get something different. Did you even anticipate billing before you ordered the 4s or did you really think we would anticipate it for you...everyone's billing is different.

Last edited:
jps75 said:
Just send it back. You are way not ready for an iPhone 4S. Get a 3G first then work ur way up.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
This got me laughing over here!

Haha this is funny. Btw I just came over from a Droid Bionic. I have always had Droids. But I have been having way to maybe problems. So I made the switch and will never look back!!!

Mine gave the same instructions, my phone would not activate either. Reset the phone a couple of times with no change, called Verizon to activate over the air, very very easy and quick. The Customer service rep was very nice and helpful!!

Haha wow I have never seen someone to scared to use a phone. It's so easy a caveman can do it. Come on just turn it on and enjoy.

For sure. Normally I wouldn't comment, but this is an iPhone! It's the consumer electronics device of smartphones. It's designed so the average "grandmaw and grandpaw" set can use it without issues.

Turn it on, and follow the steps. It really IS that simple. To charge either insert the USB cable into the little wall plug they give you, or plug it into your PC and put the dock connector end into the phone.

andgmart, you are DEFINITELY overthinking the iPhone activation process.

I understand the timidity and empathize. This is about a week since iPhone 4S got delivered - and today I have a professional tech person (volunteer) working the whole day to set up this and coordinate with MacBook Pro with two operating system updates, ultimately to "Lion"

iCrank said:
+1...hey op this is how you set your device up from the box. If you don't have a iTunes apple id. Create one. The instructions are simple. If you have any other concerns please search before posting as most issues have been discussed.

Or go to Apple.com.

Sent from my Tricked Out Pink Hearts Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF.net