What's new

What to do to start use my first cellphone -- iphone 5s?

fiat

Reaction score
Hi, I ordered an "iphone 5s 16GB Space Gray (GSM) T-Mobile unlocked" from Apple online store (full price). After reading about all the mess about T-M iphone 5s is NOT unlocked and talking to Apple customer service clarifying I will receive an unlocked iphone with T-M sim card installed, I was kind relieved and started thinking ahead of what to do when I receive the phone. Now since I have never used a cellphone/smartphone before, I was bothered with another issue (rumor): if I start setting up my iphone with T-M sim card installed, my iphone may be locked to T-M? Should I or Can I remove T-M sim card first and then start setup process (to prevent from locking into T-M service)? Any way, would any experienced user provide a detailed steps for starting to use my new unlocked iphone 5s?

My concerns include:
1. during the setup process, when to install T-M sim card?
2. which way to use to setup: wifi (available for me) or itunes (11.1) on my mac?
3. I assume no "restore" is needed since I never used iphone or other smartphone before (I do have a wifi only ipad3).
4. how to activate T-M sim card? (I assume it will be after finishing setup my iphone. also I assume activating T-M sim card does NOT lock my iphone to T-M.)

Pardon me for asking these basic questions/help. Thanks

After 150+ views and no reply/help? Come on, you experienced iphone users! A little help?

I'm also confused about the tmobile iphone 5s

I went to a tmobile store asking about if I can buy a iphone 5s from them and use the $30 per month plan(100minutes talk and unlimited data, with first 5gb being LTE speed), they said no, they do not have this particular plan available in store

So I walked away and chatted online with their representative and she told me, if I buy from them, no. But if I buy from apple, I can just call them and have the plan activated.

Went ahead and bought the tmobile one from apple, as it is the only option under unlocked

I will see what happens when both the phone and my tmobile sim arrive. My guess is the phone will probably be unlocked and I will be free to use it with any carrier I desire.

Neubee, I gess that T-M has few/no 5s from Apple and so directing people to buy 5s from Apple. I am in the same situation as waiting for my 5s from Apple. But my question is how do I setup the phone without causing it to be locked to T-M? Should I remove the T-M sim card before setup or not? and finally how do I activate the T-M sim card to use their service without being locked? Any help?

Because i am in the Uk i don't know anything about the procedure in other countries but i bought my iPhones unlocked over the phone from Apple and then put my already activated sim in it, this didn't cause the phone to be locked to any network, you're right, no restore is needed as its a new phone, you will get on screen instructions about connecting to the Internet as you go. i hope some of that helped you.....oh and you put your Sim in before you start setup on your phone.

Last edited:
I don't think a SIM card will lock/unlock your phone. I know that once the SIM card is burned/programmed (when you first connect it to your phone), it's locked in to your cell phone number and carrier information. The only way to use an iphone is to activate it and that would require you to put a SIM card.

I don't think a SIM card will lock/unlock your phone. I know that once the SIM card is burned/programmed (when you first connect it to your phone), it's locked in to your cell phone number and carrier information. The only way to use an iphone is to activate it and that would require you to put a SIM card.
badsup, your saying is quite close to my thought. Since I never use a smartphone/iphone/cellphone before, I had no idea how to start and go with my new iphone when it arrives (Oct). So I dig in Apple's user guide a bit and came up something close to your statement. However, the situation is that the 5s I ordered (full price) from Apple.com will come with T-M sim card "installed" which I don't know if already "burned/programmed"? I got the idea from user's guide that when receiving the phone (with sim card in), I shall either use wifi or connect to my mac iTunes to "setup" the iphone. And then ask T-M (T-M store, Apple store, or call T-M) to activate the sim-card and purchase their service. Is this the right way to start using my new iphone? If yes, after this process, my iphone is still unlocked to any carrier?

Another question: What can I do if I decide to use ATT's pre-pay, no-contract service instead of T-M? Maybe I can go to an ATT store and purchase their service and install their sim card there? In any way, I still need to keep T-M sim card in and setup the iphone first and then either or not activate T-M sim card. Then remove T-M sim card and insert (install) ATT sim card. Sounds right? Please correct or confirm. Thanks

I have no knowledge to help you with, but do have some advice! Have you tried doing a Google search for the info? You will find much more info and probably You Tube vidoes to help you through this process. I usually google first, ask forum second!

Another question: What can I do if I decide to use ATT's pre-pay, no-contract service instead of T-M? Maybe I can go to an ATT store and purchase their service and install their sim card there? In any way, I still need to keep T-M sim card in and setup the iphone first and then either or not activate T-M sim card. Then remove T-M sim card and insert (install) ATT sim card. Sounds right? Please correct or confirm. Thanks

That's the nice thing about buying a factory unlocked GSM phone, you can use a SIM card from any GSM network. I've used my iphone 4 in the US and overseas without any issue. Yes you can activate it with TMobile and switch to AT&T and back and forth.

badsup, many thanks to your reply.

xrayeyes, You not only have no knowledge to help (either you are not a T-M phone user or have no knowledge with unlocked iphone), but have no knowledge to understand people's need. Your advice is useless to me (as I did have done online research from Apple co, T-M, 3rd party articles, other iphone-related forums, and even youtubes... resulting little info I need). I think your way of "google first, ask forum second" is flaw in many ways. Have no time for this.

I think you can rest assure that the sim will not lock you to tmobile.

Difference between the locked and unlocked is in the phone itself, not the sim. You can get a att locked phone in its original package, and it will still not work with tmobile.

Worst case scenario, if it does lock you to tmobile, you could call apple and yell the hell out of them, for the fact that they advertised the phone as unlocked.

My current unlocked 4s has had 4 different sims in it and never a problem, I doubt it will be any different this year, even though the unlocked version has tmobile next to it on the official page.

I was trying to be helpful. But such a nice response Fiat....you could have simply ignored my post. Have a great day!

Last edited: