What's new

Safari & Mail closing down as soon as opened

astra_gal

Reaction score
I have an i phone 4 on orange, had it for a few months now, always been great. Today when i open safari, the page doesnt load and about 2 seconds later it closes again. Similarly when i open my mail box, it will let me see the list of message titles and previews, and also let me delete messages but when i try and open one, the mail window closes itself.
Switched the phone on and off, plugged it in to the lappy to check if theres an update, theres not. Cleared out cookies and cache incase that was causing any problem but frustratingly, the problem persists.
Anyone have any idea what the problem is and even better, anyone have any idea how to fix it? Im getting a bit twitchy not being able to access the net on it lol.
Thanks in advance.

ETA previous vodafone technical help employee so usually good with phones, but deffo not an i phone expert :(

Last edited:
Soft reset the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked that up, to confirm, is that the press and hold both the sleep and home button for approx 10 secs?
thanks

Yes it is. Do that and if it doesn't fix the issue do it second and third time. Your issue should be solve after that. I was having an issue like yours when i was on 4.3.2 and soft reseting again and again cure it as i didn't want to restore the firmware.

Thanks for explaining that, unfortunatly Ive soft reset 5 times now and Ive still got the same problem :( Will I have to take it back to the store? (shudders at thought of being without it)

There is no need to take it back to the store, your issue is software related. It seems that u are having damaged files inside the iOS files. All you can do now is to restore your phone via itunes.

If you are not on the latest iOS 4.3.3 and you are not planing to upgrade to that latest iOS 4.3.3 then manually download your actual firmware version from internet. Save it to a simple location like your desktop. After connecting your phone to your computer, right click on your phone name in the left panel on itunes and then in the drop list, select "backup" when backup is done, push down "shift key" and keep that shift key down while you clic on restore. It should display a window allowing you to locate the ipsw you previousely downloaded from internet. Locate it and "ok" and let itunes restore you system.
But before this, use tinyUmbrella to save the shsh of your device, make sure itunes is close when u are using tinyUmvrella. Another important thing is to remember to update your itunes before start the restore process.

Oops, I had already started to do the restore before i read that! I think that I had updated to the 4.3.3 already though recently. I synced my contacts to outlook and backed up on i tunes so hopefully I wont lose too much from the phone. It seems to be taking a very very long time to restore, is this typical?
Thanks again

Ive just checked and the phone is still acting as normal, doesnt say syncing or updating or anything at all on it, on i tunes it says 'contacting the i phone activation server' in the top box and further down it says 'i tunes is preparing to restore the software on this i phone'

Oops, I had already started to do the restore before i read that! I think that I had updated to the 4.3.3 already though recently. I synced my contacts to outlook and backed up on i tunes so hopefully I wont lose too much from the phone. It seems to be taking a very very long time to restore, is this typical?
Thanks again

Well it used to be like that, itunes use to take a long long time to restore the backup, that is because of the size of of your backup, sometimes it took me 3hours to restore my backup after upgrading iOS. You should check your computer disk spaces if you still having enough free spaces because the backup use a lot of free spaces of your main disc. In case you are runing out of free spaces then the restore will take more time and eventualy break out if the free spaces on your comouter is not above 10gb.
While all of this, when i was upgrading to iOS 4.3.3 i've noticed that right before itunes flash the ipsw into my phone after i clic on restore, it automatically backup my phone, thing my itunes never did before, after upgrading my new iOS 4.3.3 a process which tooks about 15mn or less, my phone restarted and everything was there already, my contacts, my apps, everything. I first though that the upgrade failled, but when i went to check the iOS version in setting> general> about, it was the latest upgrade iOS 4.3.3 this saved me of manually restoring my backup and i was so amazed.
If you are upgrading to iOS 4.3.3 and it didn't went out for you this way, i can only think that maybe your itunes wasn't up to date.

Ive just checked and the phone is still acting as normal, doesnt say syncing or updating or anything at all on it, on i tunes it says 'contacting the i phone activation server' in the top box and further down it says 'i tunes is preparing to restore the software on this i phone'

Ok that's the process. Let it go through. And if you can leave your computer alone while the upgrade is in progress until your phone reboot and itune recognize it. Everything will be fine then.

Ok, well I did the restore and my backed up stuff was sucessfully put back on to the phone. But how frustrating, it is still doing the same thing with the safari and the mail. Is there anything else I can try? Its sending me nuts :S

Ive ended up going in to general settings and chose the reset all settings option. It has sorted the problem. Now to get my phone back to how I like it again,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions :)