What's new

Questions about my new(used) Iphone 4

cyrax037

Reaction score
Hi! So yesturday I bought an Iphone 4 from a freind of mine. I got it cheap even though its only a few weeks old. Her husband bought it for her, and they are going through a bad seperation, so she sold it for cheap. Now my questions have to do with service things, kinda situation specific so I wasn't able to find anything through the search.

I'm currently able to use the Iphone, in every way other then to make calls, text, ect. (everything involved with cell service) She reset it and everything before giving it to me, but I mostly want to make sure I'm not in some way still taped in to her service. Its locked to Sprint (and no accesible sim slot) it even still says Sprint up at the top with bars. (though there are not many, but it could be due to weak Sprint signal in my area)

She used a plan I think. So I mainly want to know that its not still somehow linked to a service she is still paying for, LOL.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I've never owned an Iphone before so I'm a little new to it all.

Idealy, I'd prefer to use it with ATT, but if thats not really an option without unlocking and such, I'd like to use Sprints pay as you go plans, but I'm not sure how to get that activated on it.

Last edited:
A Sprint iPhone 4 cannot be used on AT&T... completely different technology.

As far as using on Sprint's Pay as you Go service... you'll need to contact Sprint and see if the iP4 in question is still attached to her acct. in some way. A problem you might run into is that they've sold the iPhone out but still have time left in their contract and/or have an unpaid balance on their account. Which, in turn, Sprint will blacklist the iPhone to where it cannot be used.

Ok, I might have to give Sprint a call Monday then. Oh, a couple things I forgot to mention. When I try to call the number for the Iphone, it says "The person you have tried to call is not available" and if I try to make a call with it, it just says "The number or code you have dialed is incorrect, please check the number or code and try again"

I would think if it was still connected to her account, I would acturally be able to use the phone part of it, but idrk. To be honest, plans and contracts are a bit unfamilure to me, as I've only ever used prepaid service. Acturally, I've only ever owned 2 phones in my life, my current one is a feature phone, my last one was a regular Samsung flip phone which I still have and keep put away as a spare/backup. I use ATT and used the same sim card and # for both for the past 3 years, LOL.

If I can get the Iphone working as a phone, I'll probably use the mimimum I can on the prepaid service and use it for my "buisness"(excepturally small time production company/freelance videography/recording studio)

If I can't, with the price I paid for it ($45), I'd be fairly satisfied with just using the features I can with Wifi and offline. Guess that would make it more Ipod like wouldn't it?

The thing is... you can't expect when you buy a phone from someone (even if it's someone you know) for it to continue working as it did when they were using it. Definitley call Sprint though... give them the iPhone's IEMI # and they can direct you on the condition of the phone's service possibilities.

The thing is... you can't expect when you buy a phone from someone (even if it's someone you know) for it to continue working as it did when they were using it.

Lol, I'm sry (total noob) could you eleberate on that sentance a little more? Idk if I'm just tired or what but I'm not sure I'm understanding what it means very well.

Lol, I'm sry (total noob) could you eleberate on that sentance a little more? Idk if I'm just tired or what but I'm not sure I'm understanding what it means very well.
Not a problem. When you buy a cell phone from someone... even if it's a friend of yours... you cannot expect it to just continue to work when you don't have it moved over to your own wireless plan. Whether than plan be a yearly contract or pay as you go.. doesn't matter. You stated a couple posts ago that you can use the phone for everything but calls and texts... that's because the service is no longer connected. Yes, it's going to say sprint becuase it's a Sprint phone.