What's new

Iphone 4S contract with At&t

whynooot

Reaction score
Ive got a quest and was wondering if someone could help me?

A friend of mine had her b/f at the time buy her a new Iphone 4s and added her to his family plan. Being they have now broken up and the Iphone was in his name and she has only had her new phone for 2 months. The ex b/f has now shut off service to her phone.

Is she able to go to At&t now and use her Iphone 4s and get added to her moms At&t family plan account? Or does her b/f still own the phone and she not able to get it activated?

As long as he didn't mark it as stolen, she should be able to use it on her mom's AT&T account.

Her BF is gonna be on the hook to pay a massive cancellation fee. So he owns that phone and your friend should give it back.

How big will the massive cancellation fee her b/f might be looking at paying?? I dont think he will report it stolen.

She owns that phone since he bought it for her. We're not kids anymore. What's bought for her is bought for her. And yes she can use it, swap sim and go. Enjoy.

She owns that phone since he bought it for her. We're not kids anymore. What's bought for her is bought for her.

Ha! If that was true, there would be no such thing as divorce lawyers.

Last edited:
How big will the massive cancellation fee her b/f might be looking at paying?? I dont think he will report it stolen.

It's $310 minus $10 for every month you've had it.

If she is the type of person who would return a wallet full of money to it's owner, she would return the phone. If she is the type that would keep the wallet, she will keep the phone.

And since the phone is in his name, he could tell AT&T it was stolen anyway.

Ok so nobody seems to know for sure if she can or can not get it activated under her mom's at&t account. or even if her ex still owns the phone or she does

Either that or you just skipped reading the whole thread of replies people left for you.

In short, you can. Swap the sim card and go.

One question. Why didn't you guys just try activating it before asking? Not like it requires scientific math...

If she is the type of person who would return a wallet full of money to it's owner, she would return the phone. If she is the type that would keep the wallet, she will keep the phone.

what if she is the type to return the wallet but say there was no money in it....

Just try and activate it. If they dont allow it then there you go it cant be done. A simple call to the provider and you would have had an answer..... >_>

What if she was given the wallet?

It is her phone, and has been since he gave it to her.

If he didn't give it to her as a gift it would be his. He paid for it under thinking about her and him. Anyways if he left her let her keep it. But if she left him give it back to him because she would've broke the arrangement.

Mr.Mischief said:
What if she was given the wallet?

It is her phone, and has been since he gave it to her.

I agree. He bought it for her. Not buy it for himself to lend to her. In that case, for him to ask for it back would be shameful for not only as a man but as a person. He should honor the past gift just as it was. A gift he gave in their past relationship.

I think she should go activate it with a new sim and enjoy the gift he bought her.

iCrank said:
If he didn't give it to her as a gift it would be his. He paid for it under thinking about her and him. Anyways if he left her let her keep it. But if she left him give it back to him because she would've broke the arrangement.

I see what youre saying friend. But it was a gift. The arrangement wasn't a phone for their relationship as a ring for a marriage. But a simple gift out of love at the time. Mutual love. Now that it was broken has nothing to do with the gift.