What's new

Question regarding selling 3Gs so I can afford new iphone

dltang

Reaction score
I already ordered my iPhone 4 so weather I get any money out of my 32GB 3Gs is basically irrelevant now but I am going to try anyway. I do have a few questions. My current phone is Jailbroken. If I reset it back to original settings, will that wipe the jailbreak out? Can I reset it and then jailbreak it again to advertise it as jailbroken? (they seem to be fetching more money on ebay if jailbroken) And the last most important question, do I sell it with or without the SIM card and how does that affect the jailbroken phone? Thanks for all the help.

First off the going rate on ebay for a used 3GS is around $300. On craigslist i think youd be doing good to get $250. Don't ship your sim card they will have one of their own or can get one from the carrier for free. Jailbreaking can be reversed by a restore..BUT be sure you uninstall all add ons thru cydia before you restore. I had one i had to restore 3 or 4 times because the battery % meter wouldnt restore back to original.

Hope that helps!

Danny

First off the going rate on ebay for a used 3GS is around $300. On craigslist i think youd be doing good to get $250. Don't ship your sim card they will have one of their own or can get one from the carrier for free. Jailbreaking can be reversed by a restore..BUT be sure you uninstall all add ons thru cydia before you restore. I had one i had to restore 3 or 4 times because the battery % meter wouldnt restore back to original.

Hope that helps!

Danny

Danny, ok, after I restore, can I re jailbreak it and advertise it as jailbroke? Also, will it still be Jailbroke without the SIM Card. That is what I am trying to find out mostly. Thanks.

Yes, jailbreak is the same as the first time around... To jailbreak you will need the sim in to activate so you can get to the home screen. After you have jailbroken and are ready to ship the phone... remove the sim. They will havetoo get their own sim to restore and/or activate..(you dont want them using your sim to activate thu your cell plan).

Last edited:
Just for info Danny the restore will work fine on a 3GS the battery % staying after restoring was just for the older phones as they didn't come with it originally. Restored mine and took it to an apple shop for a genius appointment and had no problems with the GS.

Not sure why phones over there would fetch more jailbroken as even a fully updated model can now be JB with Spirit!

If you have an add on that stays on after restore, go into your settings>general>reset>reset all settings..... that should do it. If you want to re-jailbreak, use spirit.

yes, that would be nice if jailbreak sayed after a restore or even an update i would not have to wait for a jb everytime and sit there re installing apps or waiting for them to be ported to new fw. but they install on the partition of the iphone that gets whiped. which sucks but has its advantages when you need to take it to apple or sell it ;p