What's new

Problems Downloading & Installing Ver 4.0.2

Nifty

Reaction score
Have just purchased my iPhone4 after 2 years with a 3G and no problems. First software version comes along and it won't download and I get messages about a network connection timeout. The Apple Help Desk wants me to disable my firewalls (all beyond me technically) but before I head down this track does anyone have a better solution.

Thanks again but tried the Restore option and has come up with the same message and haven't been able to install 4.0.2. Do you have any other suggestions please?

It does that to me and the wife every once in a while. What I found that worked, is choosing the option to just download the update only. Not the download and install option.

Once it downloads, press the update option again and it should work. Most of the times it works. But like the above statements, sometimes I have to do it a couple of times. Hope this helps.

I'm having the same issue. I just left it alone for now since everyone says there is nothing to the update except blocking the jb anyways.

I have the same problem but my connection is kinda crappy, Verizon DSL. I had no problems with 4.01 but have tried to dl 4.02 4 times and I keep getting this error. I always choose the download only method. Like I said I really don't blame apple, I constantly have problems with this DSL line. Hopefully we will be going back to cable again soon.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the Download only option last night and still got the same response about a network connection timeout so no further ahead. I had also earlier disabled my firewall and tried to do the Download and Install but this also didn't work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I tried the Download only option last night and still got the same response about a network connection timeout so no further ahead. I had also earlier disabled my firewall and tried to do the Download and Install but this also didn't work.

How long does it take you to DL the file? Have you tryed a faster network connection perhaps wired if your using a laptop?

It's taking 22-25 minutes and I am on wireless. I am using the same infrastructure as I used for the last 2 years with my 3G and never experienced a single problem

I would atleast try a faster connection. Or try a restore using DFU instead of just an upgrade. (DFU won't make s difference if you get the error right after the DL) and if that's the case find a connection that takes around 5min or less to DL. (Starbucks) ;)

It's taking 22-25 mins each time which seems a lot. With my 3G and the same gear I pit on lots of new software and never had a problem.

Yea, Other than just trying a few different things i dont know what to tell you... Hopefully somebody will chime in that has had this exact issue.

It is a specific problem with iS4.0.2 ... The timeout error...I could manage to install the software after atleast 20-25 unsuccessful attempts.
Apple keeps saying that its Firewall issue. Crap!! The same internet installed 4.0.1 seamlessly and now its Firewall who blocks 4.0.2?
Grow up Apple. (In your IQ thoughts)