What's new

Multiple attempts at restoring phone unsuccessful

Bham

Reaction score
I have tried every trick that I know of to restore the software on my iphone 5s. Ill go into detail below...

Currently I am running a jailbroken version of ios 7.0.6. I looked into the jailbroken forums, however this is more of a technical question so it was placed in this forum.
I've started running into issues with my phone not automatically finding wifi signals, as well as bluetooth signals, and sometimes not being able to connect to them at all, when they are familiar connections to the phone that have worked for months (including while jailbroken). I am finding that rebooting the phone usually fixes the issue, however, the wifi/bluetooth have recently stopped working all together. I am unsure if this is due to the jailbreak, or perhaps the phone getting older. Either way, my priority is to restore to a non-jailbroken version, and update to the newest ios.

Here is what I have tried:
- A basic restore within iTunes (iTunes default feature is to restore and update, which is fine, however the software download never moves past 0%. I have tried turning off antivirus, turning off firewall, and using googles DNS servers based upon other similar issues that were resolved in these manners)
- A manual restore within iTunes (When loading the past .ipsw files that are in my 'library' folder, iTunes is throwing a 'does not have compatible firmware' error)
- A restore through DFU mode (still requires iTunes to provide the default restore and update, and same issue on the software download)

I distinctly remember having to use a workaround for downloading software updates through iTunes, however I cant seem to think of what exactly I did. I remember (pre-jailbroken) just downloading the update directly from the phone because it was so much easier. However, I'm puzzled that with anti-virus/firewall down and using a static DNS, that it still is not allowing the software download.

Looking for any additional ideas you may think of.
Appreciate any help!

What iOS are you trying to install? The only iOS versions you can install at this time are 7.1.1 and 7.1.2.

So, you'll have to restore the phone (not upgrade) to one of those iOS versions, then do the jail break.

And, while I'm still on iOS 7.0.6, I've heard that iOS 7.1.1 is the better of the two for jail breaking purposes. So, you may want to use that one...

Marilyn

What iOS are you trying to install? The only iOS versions you can install at this time are 7.1.1 and 7.1.2.

So, you'll have to restore the phone (not upgrade) to one of those iOS versions, then do the jail break.

And, while I'm still on iOS 7.0.6, I've heard that iOS 7.1.1 is the better of the two for jail breaking purposes. So, you may want to use that one...

Marilyn

Thanks for the reply Mickey.

I am trying to restore the phone to either factory settings, or to an earlier backup I have made that was not jailbroken. I am wanting to pull the jailbreak off, and use the current ios version 7.1.2.

The default setting in iTunes is to 'restore and update', rather than doing a restore singularly and doing a separate action to update. So, I am getting stuck at the software downloading screen, where the download never moves past 0%. There are all sorts of tech help forum posts about similar issues, those of which I have tried and been unsuccessful. If iTunes would let me restore without updating the software at the same time, I could restore the phone to factory settings within iTunes and download the software update via wi-fi and skip iTunes all together.

When trying an automatic restore through iTunes, I am stuck at the software download, not the restore.
When trying to manual restore using past .ipsw files, I am running into a 'firmware not compatible' error.

Thanks for the reply Mickey. I am trying to restore the phone to either factory settings, or to an earlier backup I have made that was not jailbroken. I am wanting to pull the jailbreak off, and use the current ios version 7.1.2. The default setting in iTunes is to 'restore and update', rather than doing a restore singularly and doing a separate action to update. So, I am getting stuck at the software downloading screen, where the download never moves past 0%. There are all sorts of tech help forum posts about similar issues, those of which I have tried and been unsuccessful. If iTunes would let me restore without updating the software at the same time, I could restore the phone to factory settings within iTunes and download the software update via wi-fi and skip iTunes all together. When trying an automatic restore through iTunes, I am stuck at the software download, not the restore. When trying to manual restore using past .ipsw files, I am running into a 'firmware not compatible' error.
The restore and update are not two separate actions, but are two aspects of the same procedure. When you do the restore you will end up with a factory restored iPhone on the latest iOS version. It is at this point that you can use a backup to set up your newly resyptored iPhone.

It is not possible to restore your iPhone to factory settings without updating it. I suspect that your problems stem from trying to treat the update and restore as two separate operations.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Try download the latest ipsw software directly without using iTunes. I always do that everytime I want to update/restore my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: