What's new

Poor Battery Life

I have let my iPhone 5 discharge totally 3 times this week (received it only last Monday). I am like Krissi (who started this thread)... i get about 5 hours from a full charge. Today, I never used the phone.... did a some FaceBook and email updates. I have WiFi turned off... only using Telus 3G/LTE service. Did not do any Google Map routing. I'm in the throws of recharging it again. Hope its memory gets to be better than mine SOON!

I have let my iPhone 5 discharge totally 3 times this week (received it only last Monday). I am like Krissi (who started this thread)... i get about 5 hours from a full charge. Today, I never used the phone.... did a some FaceBook and email updates. I have WiFi turned off... only using Telus 3G/LTE service. Did not do any Google Map routing. I'm in the throws of recharging it again. Hope its memory gets to be better than mine SOON!

Please read the entire thread, specially skull's comments. Your battery's memory will never get better. The battery does not have a memory. Read the thread, please.

I think there is a bug in iOS 6 on iPhone 5. This afternoon as I was reading RSS feeds my phone was getting hot and battery was discharging quite fast. Then I went to use the camera and the phone rebooted by itself. After that it ran cool and battery use is good. Right now 5 hours after that episode I have 65% down from 82% when it rebooted.

If you have issues I'd say best advice right now is to hard boot your phone and wait for an iOS update.

You realize that is not a normal usage pattern so why not just use it as it's designed for?

I guess I don't understand your response. Do you mean I use it too much or that I shouldn't be keeping it plugged in? I mainly keep it plugged in just to avoid running the battery down while I'm just sitting at my desk and then have a dead battery on the way home from work. (I keep it plugged in so I don't forget to plug it in basically) My question was if that is damaging (or shortening) the battery life and if I should just let it discharge all morning and then plug it in, say, after lunch. Or does it really matter.

If it doesn't damage the battery to keep it plugged in then I'd rather just keep doing what I'm doing.

If it means I am shortening the battery life or damaging the battery then I don't have a problem letting it discharge more before plugging it in.

I actually don't think it is "not normal" to plug in a device and when you are going to be using it for very long stretches at a time. As for unplugging it and then plugging it right back in, again that is more so I don't forget then because I feel the phone will die in 5 minutes.

I also kept my Touch plugged in as much as possible but I wasn't so worried about preserving the battery life on it because if it died it just died. I wouldn't miss any phone calls/important messages.

It's a very fine point that I want to make and I don't think it will get across as intended.

Plugging in a lithium ion type battery to charge will not shorten it's life greatly as long as the charging circuitry is working correctly, except for two circumstances.
1. Heat affects the number of recharge cycles your battery can go through. And charging continuously while discharging produces more heat than when idle.
2. LI batteries don't like being fully charged. Being at capacity means there are more forces working inside the battery. For long term storage it is recommended to leave your Li batteries not at 100% but between 40-60%. I don't have time currently to go into why but the information is readily available on the Internet if you care to look for it.

The 'normal' use the batteries are designed for is someone that plugs in the device when needed and takes it off the charger in the morning and goes until they need to plug it in again. Let's hope there is no argument over this, it's pretty evident.

Feel free to ignore anything I say. You can use your device as you want. Your use is certainly within the parameters of the iPhone's design.

My battery has been very good, did not appear this, because I think
First, the first charge to 12 hours
Second, the phone battery can not be too frequent charge, available on the two battery used interchangeably!
Third, mobile phone battery is not used in power can not charge the passage of time would be detrimental to the battery capacity
Fourth, the phone can not be put under high temperature or high humidity conditions detrimental to battery life

ardchoille said:
I've had my iPhone 4S for about 6 months now and I'm averaging 20 hours use, 3 days standby. But, I use the phone mostly on wifi and I don't have a voice plan (hearing impaired).
If you keep it in airplane mode because of that then that's why it lasts so long. Before my iPhone 5 my 4 would barely last 7 hours and that was me not even touching it hardly. Now I have it on airplane mode with the wifi and bluetooth on so I can look at the Internet and I also use it in my truck to stream bluetooth through my radio, and I get a solid 3 days out of it easy with heavy usage. It's definitely the cellular part of the phones that kills the battery.

It's a very fine point that I want to make and I don't think it will get across as intended.

Plugging in a lithium ion type battery to charge will not shorten it's life greatly as long as the charging circuitry is working correctly, except for two circumstances.
1. Heat affects the number of recharge cycles your battery can go through. And charging continuously while discharging produces more heat than when idle.
2. LI batteries don't like being fully charged. Being at capacity means there are more forces working inside the battery. For long term storage it is recommended to leave your Li batteries not at 100% but between 40-60%. I don't have time currently to go into why but the information is readily available on the Internet if you care to look for it.

The 'normal' use the batteries are designed for is someone that plugs in the device when needed and takes it off the charger in the morning and goes until they need to plug it in again. Let's hope there is no argument over this, it's pretty evident.

Feel free to ignore anything I say. You can use your device as you want. Your use is certainly within the parameters of the iPhone's design.

I would elect to feel free to ignore everything you say. You say that information is "readily available" but at the same time you say you don't have time to get into it.

I wouldn't argue that when the phone heats up that the battery is in heavy use and will cause the the power to drop pretty dramatically, but I do not believe that causes any changes in charging cycles.

So when you get the time to access this readily available information, back up your statements by providing links.

Again, I point to Skulls posts which are accurate for anyone who wants to understand how lithium batteries and their life cycles work.

I did no conditioning of battery and never have with any phone I've owned.

$image-2243759028.jpg

Your first sentence is iffy without context. Your second sentence is spot on. So lets examine the first sentence.

Charging while the battery is above 110F can cause slight variations in the lithium salts interaction with the electron flow and its interaction with the charging cycle. An oxide can form, at that point, instead of the normal interaction that would store an electron (or unit of power if you want to think of it in that term). This oxide does not change the charging cycle count one bit. It changes the total storage capacity or "top end charge" of the entire lithium salt matrix. IE instead of being at 80% capacity at the end of 500 cycles, you might only have 75% capacity at the end of those same 500 cycles.

And yes I do realize the above explanation could be considered "nit picking" and/or a "semantics" games. You could argue back that when you reach 80% of the storage capacity, it took less overall charging cycles to get there. And technically you would be correct. But my explanation shows the true nature of the failure point and that the battery will still run thru its full recharge cycle count regardless. So please don't be made at me ;)

Your first sentence is way too black and white, which is misleading in my opinion. Second sentence is accurate. And current industry standard for long term storage of a Lithium-Ion battery, 6 months or more, is to place the charge at 40% and keep the battery in a sub 70F area to keep the lithium-ion salt from degrading.

Lithium-Ion batteries don't like being at full capacity for more than a few weeks before things start to go sideways with the formation of oxides (which don't hold a charge) and plating (slows the ability to transfer the charge). For the average cell phone user, I doubt anyone has every let their battery get to that level and stay there for that long. Even if you put the phone on a charger and never take it off, it will go between 100% to 96% at least twice a day (probably more if the cellular radio signal is weak). Which is more than enough to keep the battery from forming critical levels of oxides.

Totally agree.

Heck no. We are all here to share so we can learn. :D

View attachment 9035

Ok, I am going to guess you don't play ANY Zynga games (Words, Hanging, Gems, etc) or any tower defense games. And probably your cellular signal never drops below -86 dBm (remember -104 dBm is lower and worse).

View attachment 9035

And you've been fine. But the point here is that you can't condition the lithium battery even if you wanted to. As Skull points out you condition the OS when you drop it down to 10% and you don't need to do it on a regular basis. That tells the OS when to expect the battery to lose power.

hookbill said:
And you've been fine. But the point here is that you can't condition the lithium battery even if you wanted to. As Skull points out you condition the OS when you drop it down to 10% and you don't need to do it on a regular basis. That tells the OS when to expect the battery to lose power.

My iPhone 5 was having poor battery life I let it run down and it shut off at 10% recharged and now battery life is back to normal.

My iPhone 5 was having poor battery life I let it run down and it shut off at 10% recharged and now battery life is back to normal.

Is there a point to that statement? If you are saying you conditioned your battery you are not reading the thread. What we learned was that dropping the battery down to 10T conditions the OS. If you think otherwise then you should read the entire thread. Skull has also put a link to dresearch tat explains how this works.