What's new

Pandora streaming with Verizon unlimited data

Diane B

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone streams Pandora in car using 'unlimited' data plan? I questioned the Verizon support about our unlimited data since I know Verizon now uses tiered plans but evidently we were 'grandfathered' in when upgrading phone to Iphone this past week. So--whereas in the past we played downloaded Rhapsody on radio in car From Touch or Ipad I'm now wondering if we can safely stream Pandora at times. I guess I'm a bit cautious about the "unlimited" data.

Diane B

Hi Diane,

I have Verizon with Unlimited data as well as you and I stream Pandora with no issue. I stream in the car, work or sometimes as I do yard work :)

I had no issues so far!

I am not sure what the concern is here? Safely? If you have unlimited then you an use as much data as you want.

The only issue that I can think of would be if you used so much data that they started throttling, and with the reduced speed it would keep streaming services like Pandora from working properly. Maybe that's what Diane means by "safely."

I have unlimited data with Verizon and listen to Pandora in my car or while at work constantly. On average i listen to 5 or more hours a day and have been doing this since 2009 back in my android days then with an iPhone 4 and now my 4S.

I've never run into an issue or throttling with from Verizon.

Yes, throttling is exactly what I meant. To check how much it was using, I used my Ipad 3 in my car yesterday for a short trip. I have a data checking app on it since I have a fixed data amount. I was surprised how quickly Pandora ran up the data amount so won't use the Ipad again LOL. But, now when we're together we can use his Iphone. Nice to have that unlimited data amount "grandfathered" since they don't sell it any more. Sure won't change our contract any time soon.

Thought I would add this. We did a several hour trip today and listened both to our favorite NPR station (which has an app) as well as Pandora. Loved it and listened without worrying about the amount of data plan it used. Too bad new Iphne buyers won't have this ability and will have to monitor as I do with my Ipad.

Thought I would add this. We did a several hour trip today and listened both to our favorite NPR station (which has an app) as well as Pandora. Loved it and listened without worrying about the amount of data plan it used. Too bad new Iphne buyers won't have this ability and will have to monitor as I do with my Ipad.

Agreed. Thanks Diane!