What's new

OS 10.3.3 Problems

Now I am in worse trouble. I waited 3 hours for Siera to download. My computer screen is now frozen the "to install macOS Siera, click continue." I cannot even get the computer to shut down and restart. Plugged in my phone, but no change. What do I do now?
Do you have a good internet connection? If there’s a problem with the connection it can increase the time an installation normally takes. Try leaving the computer sit for a while to see if the problem resolves itself.
I’ve had updates that have taken 4 or 5 hours to complete download and installation.

Last edited:
How can I update iTunes if my computer checks and says my software is all up to date? Why oh why oh why did I down load this OS to my phone yesterday! I must be a fool!!

Your computer is telling you that the computer's OS is up to date not iTunes. Start iTunes and tell iTunes to check for updates.

On my 5S I can press the power button on top and just rest my thumb or finger I have set up and it will unlock - you don't have to press the sensor, just touch it for a second or so.

Let's try to address these issues one at a time, I know it is hard to settle on one while there seems so many, but it is easier for you and the community to take them one at a time - resolve them - and move on to the next one.

Edit: after reading the rest of the thread it looks like you are going through the process. The people helping are VERY knowledgable and understand your frustration, please be patient and do try to give them too much information or they will have to ask for it.

What speed is your internet connection?

Are you downloading the update from Apple or a mirror site?

What version of Chrome do you have?

What browser are you using and what version is it?

Last edited:
What happens when you click to continue?

Hi! I am back! Whew! What a day!

Nothing would happen if I clicked on anything, so I ended up contacting Apple Support. Come to find out in this situation, you cannot "click" on the option. Instead, you have to place your cursor over it and then hold down the tracking pad. Only then will the 'continue" un-grey itself. Never had this experience before EVER.

Do you have a good internet connection? If there’s a problem with the connection it can increase the time an installation normally takes. Try leaving the computer sit for a while to see if the problem resolves itself.
I’ve had updates that have taken 4 or 5 hours to complete download and installation.

Hi dear scifan57,

Thank you and everyone for your patience. What a day! I had to contact Apple Support, and they had to help me put the Mac into a special mode and type in some instructions which brought up recovery disk information. We finally got to the point of installing Sierra, but it took several hours, and this was after it took 3+ hours to download it! Anyway, I now have to type in my password to do anything at all it seems, and they send an extra security code to my phone. Good grief! However, my phone did sync with iTunes after Sierra finally installed, but it is still not syncing with iPhoto. I get a message saying iPhoto is not up to date and cannot work with Sierra, and it asks me to update iPhoto from iTunes. I suppose I will have to do this, but I want to wait until tomorrow after I can speak with Chris, the Apple Support tech.

So far, nothing seems to have been lost in the upgrade to Sierra. My document in Pages seem to be there. I will know more about iPhoto soon I hope. The thing now is that Chrome says the browser is unsupported and I need to update it! Not sure how to do that either. I am very happy I have gotten this far, though. My phone is not the same, though. Siri does not talk to me like it used to do once I plugged in the phone. I have to query first before Siri says anything. More of headache is that gmail is not send me notifications once new email comes in. I have it turned on, so I do not know what is there problem there.

I am exhausted! I do not know about anyone else, but dealing with these sorts of problems totally drains my energy. I guess that is because I do not know much about these sorts of things. My computer knowledge is pretty dated. I hope everything else can get sorted out. Even my text messages have changed! Frankly, I miss my old phone. This reminds me of an episode I once screened of a programme called "Everybody Loves Raymond." In it, Raymond purchased all of his dad's favourite jazz albums remastered on CD and purchased him a fancy CD player that was HD, etc. He thought his dad would be thrilled because his old albums were all LP and skipped and were scratched and did not have the quality of the remastered CDs. Instead, his father was horrified. He thought the new CDs were terrible. He MUCH preferred his scratched up old LP's. In a sense, I feel the same way about my phone. The new OS may have better security, etc., but I prefer the way my old phone worked. I understood it, and I do not understand this one very well. I do not even like the new sounds it makes if I send a text message! As you get older, everything you know is taken away from you it seems...everything...nothing is sacred.

Your computer is telling you that the computer's OS is up to date not iTunes. Start iTunes and tell iTunes to check for updates.

On my 5S I can press the power button on top and just rest my thumb or finger I have set up and it will unlock - you don't have to press the sensor, just touch it for a second or so.

Let's try to address these issues one at a time, I know it is hard to settle on one while there seems so many, but it is easier for you and the community to take them one at a time - resolve them - and move on to the next one.

Edit: after reading the rest of the thread it looks like you are going through the process. The people helping are VERY knowledgable and understand your frustration, please be patient and do try to give them too much information or they will have to ask for it.

What speed is your internet connection?

Are you downloading the update from Apple or a mirror site?

What version of Chrome do you have?

What browser are you using and what version is it?

I am doing the same thing with my phone now. I press the top button for the screen to light up, and then then I rest my finger on the home key. It unlocks, but it does not go to my icons. I have to press the home key at this point to open the icons for messages, iTunes, apps, etc.

I am not sure what speed is my Internet. I have U-Verse stand alone. I think it is called "pro" or something. Costs around $40 a month if that tells you anything. It is not lightening fast, but it is not normally especially slow either.

I downloaded from the Apple website.

I use Chrome, but it is an older version. I do not know how to tell which version it is, but I know I need to update it.

Thank you, dear J.A.! It will take me a while to adjust to everything I am sure, but sooner or later, I will begin to feel more comfortable with it all. I will read that to help me with text messages of course. Everyone will please forgive my ineptness in these matters, I hope. I am old and slow to adjust. You all will be there one day, too! (LOL) . : )

Okay, I just stumbled upon a problem. I cannot find my address book. I see an icon for "contacts," but there is nothing inside of it. Did Sierra wipe out all of my address book contacts or am I somehow overlooking my address book?? : (

Hi dear scifan57,

Thank you and everyone for your patience. What a day! I had to contact Apple Support, and they had to help me put the Mac into a special mode and type in some instructions which brought up recovery disk information. We finally got to the point of installing Sierra, but it took several hours, and this was after it took 3+ hours to download it! Anyway, I now have to type in my password to do anything at all it seems, and they send an extra security code to my phone. Good grief! However, my phone did sync with iTunes after Sierra finally installed, but it is still not syncing with iPhoto. I get a message saying iPhoto is not up to date and cannot work with Sierra, and it asks me to update iPhoto from iTunes. I suppose I will have to do this, but I want to wait until tomorrow after I can speak with Chris, the Apple Support tech.

So far, nothing seems to have been lost in the upgrade to Sierra. My document in Pages seem to be there. I will know more about iPhoto soon I hope. The thing now is that Chrome says the browser is unsupported and I need to update it! Not sure how to do that either. I am very happy I have gotten this far, though. My phone is not the same, though. Siri does not talk to me like it used to do once I plugged in the phone. I have to query first before Siri says anything. More of headache is that gmail is not send me notifications once new email comes in. I have it turned on, so I do not know what is there problem there.

I am exhausted! I do not know about anyone else, but dealing with these sorts of problems totally drains my energy. I guess that is because I do not know much about these sorts of things. My computer knowledge is pretty dated. I hope everything else can get sorted out. Even my text messages have changed! Frankly, I miss my old phone. This reminds me of an episode I once screened of a programme called "Everybody Loves Raymond." In it, Raymond purchased all of his dad's favourite jazz albums remastered on CD and purchased him a fancy CD player that was HD, etc. He thought his dad would be thrilled because his old albums were all LP and skipped and were scratched and did not have the quality of the remastered CDs. Instead, his father was horrified. He thought the new CDs were terrible. He MUCH preferred his scratched up old LP's. In a sense, I feel the same way about my phone. The new OS may have better security, etc., but I prefer the way my old phone worked. I understood it, and I do not understand this one very well. I do not even like the new sounds it makes if I send a text message! As you get older, everything you know is taken away from you it seems...everything...nothing is sacred.
You’re welcome.

In regards to iPhoto, it has been retired by Apple and replaced by the new Photos app on both the Mac and iOS devices. Your photos should be automatically migrated to the new ap.