What's new

Opening Music, Gmail or TV I'm always asked for Apple ID pword

elmerlang

Reaction score
Hi

Whenever I open the Music, TV or Gmail apps on my iPhone X, I'm told my apple id is being used to sign into a device. I assume it's my iphone x in my hand. They ask to click Allow or Not Allow.

When I click allow, it says:
"Apple ID Verification Code
Type your password followed by this code into the password field on your device."

How can I stop that?

best
elmer

Thanks for the reply.

Where exactly do I sign in? The link tells me how to get a verification code but not where?

Do you mean signing out of my iphone first in Settings? Won't I lose everything on my phone if I do that?

Can I just sign in to Apple forums on my phone or MBP and use the verification code?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

You sign in on a new device (iPhone, iPad, Mac, ...) when you set it up. That’s when you enter the Apple ID and your password. You should have a trusted device (MBP) which will show a popup, asking you to allow this action, and then displaying a code with six digits. That’s what you enter on the new device.

The verification code has nothing to do with a forum, just with your Apple ID or iCloud ID.

Exactly ^^. If you have 2 or more Apple devices the code will pop up on all that are running a modern enough iOS. Enter that code into the X (or whichever device is asking for the code) and it will be accepted.

The purpose is to prevent someone from getting into your account if they learn your Apple ID password. Even with the password they cannot get into your account from someone else's device unless they have access to one of your devices.

One problem with two factor authentication is if you only have one device. There would be no trusted device to send the code to.