What's new

App Store updates asking for old Apple ID login

t6lock

Reaction score
hi, new here and i have a strange problem, or i'd call it strange

i took over my brother's iphone 4 about 2 weeks ago and i signed him out of everything and created my own Apple ID.

if i go to the app store and scroll way to the bottom, there is my Apple ID.
if i go to the itunes store and scroll way to the bottom, there is my Apple ID.
if i go to settings > store, there is my Apple ID.

heres where it gets funky
if i go to the app store and install an app, there is my Apple ID asking for the password to confirm
if i go to the app store and update an app, there is my brother's Apple ID asking for the password to confirm

i'm pretty sure the case isn't i installed app's while his info was still on the phone, the problem occurs on apps that i recently downloaded

thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions

Go to Settings, scroll down to Store. I think that is where you set the Apple ID you want o use.

Hey OP,

Maybe your brother previously downloaded the app in the past and it's files/settings are still on the phone some how? Since you just took over the phone, maybe you should try doing a full content reset or restore it as a new phone without loading app backups. This behavior typically only happens when the app was originally downloaded by another account and then you try to update.

Hey OP,

Maybe your brother previously downloaded the app in the past and it's files/settings are still on the phone some how? Since you just took over the phone, maybe you should try doing a full content reset or restore it as a new phone without loading app backups. This behavior typically only happens when the app was originally downloaded by another account and then you try to update.

He is on it. Any app that was previously installed under his Apple ID will continue to be updated and installed under his name. My wife's phone is the same since we share a computer. Only one way around this.

Reset the phone to new/factory condition. Then load all the apps you want on it under your ID. Do not restore from a computer or iCloud backup as you will be back in the same boat.

This is what worked for my wife's phone, but because we homeshare, my apps end up on hers and vice versa.

so basically have to do a 100% clean reset? no way to back up contacts etc?

As Thomasjtsi said, you can back up by syncing to an email account. Or if you have iCloud, that will work as well. Just make sure to not sync apps if you're using the same iTunes as your brother as this will most likely transfer over any app data files back onto your phone.

Just make sure to not sync apps if you're using the same iTunes as your brother as this will most likely transfer over any app data files back onto your phone.

If you edit the list of apps in iTunes > Apps, with your phone connected, to select only the apps you want, you can sync and only those you left ticked will show on your phone
Untick Automatically sync new apps if you (or your brother) are constantly downloading new apps
We have 5 iPhones using the same iTunes
Occasionally we have to swap phones and input our ID if we are trying out each others apps