What's new

Changing itunes store account

jscollin

Reaction score
Have an iPhone 4 with my own apple ID and iTunes store account. My wife recently got an iPad and I set it up with my own accounts and passwords. She is now getting an iPhone so I created her her own accounts and passwords.

The problem is when apps on the iPad need updating, the ones downloaded on my account will not update. I tried restoring and that didn't fix the problem. The only way I found to fix this would be to delete every app and redid loading them under her account.

There must be a better way to do this..... Help? Thanks

That's the only way. We have 5 iDevices at home but we all share the same account, this way I don't have to pay for apps multiple times and is completely legal.

Won't that cause a problem with iOS 5 and imessage? From what I understand, it will use you account info so you can pick up a conversation on another device.... If you have the same account on all devices, won't it scree it up? That's originally why I created an account for my wife.

We use gmail at home and I have all the devices setup as exchange, we only sync apps and music thru iTunes. I don't know much about iOS 5 but it will make no sense that this will affect as long as is setup to sync apps and music only.

My understanding if it was that iMessage will sync through your cloud account so you can pick up and continue a conversation let's say from your iPhone to iPad. To do that, the iPad must be under the same account than that iPhone (both my wife) but mine should be a different one. Will icloud use your apple ID? I guess thats the question. If it does then need different accounts for myself and my wife. I might be wrong but that's the way I understood it and that's what made me create a second account. Thanks

I have not experience on that but I will take actions later IF is needed after iOS 5 is available.

Maybe somebody running iOS 5 can help.

I remember reading an article that mentioned you would be able to use an email address, or your apple ID. So this may be the solution?! :)

I think iMessage uses your phone number but is linked to your iTunes account. You could have conversations between devices but of course all your conversations will be pushed to all your devices on that one account. There is a option to turn individual iCloud options off but I don't know if iMessage is included...