What's new

***OFFICIAL*** Received your new iphone 5? tell us about it here!

Preordered mine with ATT and got it on launch day. I may be one of the few but I love the new dock connector. I can now unplug with one hand and no longer have to worry about pushing the sides in. All in all very happy so far.

Just got my 5 black 32GB. My wife has 64GB white. Upgrade from our ip4's was dead simple. This is the real innovation I feel as I've gone through many painful upgrade experiences.

Well finally got mine ( pic below ), not to show the iPhone but the case I have for it.

Had pre-ordered a "tech21 impactology" case having had one for the iPhone 4s that has survived many drops undamaged with it.

Spent a week trying to reserve a black one to collect next day at two stores near me and no email. Tried for a white one yesterday and got the email last night for collection between 9 - 10.

Very very impressed with this and the lightness of the phone. Was not sure the case would work out well because the phone is so light, but you can barely feel the difference if used to the 4s weight.

I was not going to do the minor upgrade from to the 5, but the screen is simply fantastic. This is coming from somebody that is not an Apple fan boy and had also considered the SIII or even as far as yesterday goes, waiting for the SIII Mini.

Everything considered, I have made the perfect choice.

Was even impressed that careful cutting of my Micro Sim for the Orange UK network ( business - as you can't get types changed in the shops from Micro to Nano ) caused no problems and it fits perfectly and more importantly, works!

All I hope is that the sims don't get any smaller. It's already had two conversions and there is not much left of it now to slice and dice.

$IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:
Upgraded from iPhone4 to iPhone5. Although there are few things I like, I am not too impressed with iPhone5.

Pro:
I like the larger display so I can put more apps on screen. Easier navigation. Text is bigger if you tilt the phone side way
lighter than iPhone 4
Sound (Music) seems to be better
Faster operation
Faster Internet

Con:
Terrible battery life
Most of Apps runs slow
Bluetooth does not work to play music in my car (iPhone4 worked but not iPhone5)
Apple map is bad

I really have mixed feeling about iPhone5. I had high expectation and few of the things that are very important to me is bad on iPhone5 so that probably is why I am disappointed.

Upgraded from iPhone4 to iPhone5. Although there are few things I like, I am not too impressed with iPhone5.

Pro:
I like the larger display so I can put more apps on screen. Easier navigation. Text is bigger if you tilt the phone side way
lighter than iPhone 4
Sound (Music) seems to be better
Faster operation
Faster Internet

Con:
Terrible battery life
Most of Apps runs slow
Bluetooth does not work to play music in my car (iPhone4 worked but not iPhone5)
Apple map is bad

I really have mixed feeling about iPhone5. I had high expectation and few of the things that are very important to me is bad on iPhone5 so that probably is why I am disappointed.

Terrible battery life and Apps run slow.

You have something wrong with your phone then. Because going from a 4 to a 5 should be a breath of fresh air compared to how slow the 4 is. The 5 is 4 times faster in benchmarks and I have had both phones next to each other to test app load times and performance and the difference is huge. Battery life is subjective due to the fact that the 4 is a single core CPU and GPU versus a dual core CPU and tri core GPU. I find that they are comparable as long as you have a decent cellular signal to work with.

I've gone from a 4 to a 5 and I cannot agree with the conclusions that;
- battery life is terrible - it is only slightly worse than iPhone 4 battery life. On my 4 after a long day I use to have 50% left and on the 5 I am only seeing a few percent less. It still lasts me all day until 1am in the morning so how is that terrible?

- apps are slow - what are you smoking? On the 5 everything is much faster especially browsing and Internet communication.

- maps - lets not go there except to say that for some folks it works better than the old map app. This depends on your use. So drawing general conclusions about it is useless.

But, SIRI, I never suspected it could be so bad. The one thing I want it to do well is be able to dial my contacts while I am driving and I cannot get it to dial one right. Turning off SIRI I get 90% accuracy with just nuance voice control.

But, SIRI, I never suspected it could be so bad. The one thing I want it to do well is be able to dial my contacts while I am driving and I cannot get it to dial one right. Turning off SIRI I get 90% accuracy with just nuance voice control.
It's possible that Siri doesn't understand your accent... or mode of language. Just a shot in the dark.... due to Siri still being in "Beta."

Thomasjtsi said:
It's possible that Siri doesn't understand your accent... or mode of language. Just a shot in the dark.... due to Siri still being in "Beta."

But nuance understands my Canadian accent :)
I don't think it deserves beta status, it's much more of an alpha product.
I do have about 400 contacts in the address book which may be making it harder.

If apple needs to improve anything it is Siri.

)I got mine on opening day and love it! I came from the Android world after having a Droid for over 3 years. I had been holding off for over a year to upgrade waiting for whatever new Motorola that I felt would be good for me - which was the Razr MaxxHD. With rumors almost 6 months prior to release I kept waiting and waiting - never really considering Apple, even though I'm an Apple diehard owning Macs since 1984. Just never thought the iPhones were as good as an Android phone.

Well, two days prior to the iPhone5 release day - I dropped my Droid (which I had done a multitude of times before with no issues) and it must have hit just right - the screen went blank even though it showed no cracks. So, with the Razr MaxxHD still on the horizon - I went to my local VZW store to see what they had for immediate offering. That was the Friday release day for the iPhone5. Without much interest in it and assuming no stock given all the news hype about long lines and pre orders already showing delays - I did not go into the store with any thoughts of an Apple phone. But then.... I saw it. Thin, sleek, gorgeous screen, a high quality solid feel and FAST! I was sold! They had 840 in stock that day - only one customer in the store at 10:30 am and that was me. Don't know what was up with all the news hype - but I sure felt bad for all those standing and sleeping in long lines up in NYC. Because they were readily available in both colors and whatever memory you wanted. I went with a Black 64 gig model.

Here I am a month later and pretty much a very happy camper. Yea - I miss many things about the Droid that was not available on the Apple (though I'm slowly learning some apps do cover the difference well) and every day learning new. I love the camera (though indoor shots still fall way short of my expectations). Outdoor photos and video are way superior to the Droid camera. The screen is just the ultimate - brilliant colors, sharp as a whip and blazingly fast graphics.

I'm just starting to like the way Contacts work - it was a learning curve to adjust coming from the Droid. I'm not saying one is better or worse - I was just more used to the Droid, and I did/do have well over 1,000 contacts (mostly clients and subcontractors for my custom woodworking business). I miss not being able to send individual contacts to voicemail (favorites grouping does not work for individuals for short term blocking). But overall - it did seamlessly bring in my entire collection of contacts from Google with no mishaps.

Most of the Android apps I used I find are also available for the Apple - so that's nice, as well as finding some that were not out there (so far) for the Droid.

Battery life is at the least comparable - but since I'm never far from either office desk or one of several vehicle chargers that is not nor has been an issue for me. Well, it DID hurt to have to buy several cables at $19.00 per cable! Note: I don't like having to carry a cable with me everywhere I go, so I purchased one for the office and three for each of the vehicles I normally drive (work and pleasure). The original cable is kept on my home desk. I do LOVE the lightning connector way much better than the microUSB on my Droid. It has a much more solid feel and nice to be inserted without worrying about which side is up or down.

Still looking around for a case - I did buy the the "combo" case and holster that the VZW store had (pretty much the only one available on opening day. I also bought a 3-pak of the screen protectors but have a few bubbles when installing the initial one. Since, I've ordered and received the Zagg HD screen protector, but have not installed it yet. Still waiting to see which cover I'll going to switch to as more and more become available. I don't like the VZW combo because it has no protection for the front (top and bottom) bezel. I know that's where the antenna is located, so I'm assuming VZW did not want to cover it for some reason? Others do cover it and I've heard no reports that it diminishes reception (think antennagate as in the 4).

Siri blows me away! For most verbal commands "she" (I've named my girl Cindy) responds immediately and almost always correctly. I tell her to dial "home", "office", etc. and Cindy is immediately dialing correctly. I ask her for the NY Giants schedule or score from the last game and she has the answer to me almost before I finish asking the question. I ask her how the weather will be this afternoon and her response is better than my Channel Five Fox weather report! How about the latest Mit Romney joke? She's got me rolling on the floor in seconds! And I love that when I thank her she comes back with a "my pleasure" or words to that effect! So personable that I almost feel like I'm cheating on my wife with our ongoing relationship.. ;)

I will say that sometimes Siri is a bit off or confused. I think this is mostly when background noise levels are too high and she perhaps misinterprets my question. Other than that - I can't fault Siri, at least not on my phone.

Maps is another HUGE plus for me. Very apprehensive at first given all the negative press I've read. But I beg to differ. In my area (central NJ up through NYC) Maps has been flawless for me to date. I've used it on many occasions to find customers locations and without fail I've been directed turn by turn right to their door without mishap. If I miss a turn - Maps instantly adjusts and takes me forward without trying to make me go back and repeat the original turn it wanted (which is my experience with Google maps for the most part). I love the turn by turn. I am a bit disappointed in satellite view - that leaves a lot to the imagination. Blurry when enlarged and out of date. I keep my 25' boat in my back yard now - it still shows it on the side of my driveway where it has not been for six months or more. My driveway is shown as gravel - I had asphalt installed a year ago September! So yes - Maps needs some updating, but so far the streets and addresses in my area are up to date and work stellar for me.

One thing that does disappoint me a lot is the way it syncs with my computer. When I plugged my Droid in - it appeared on my desktop as an external drive. And also opened iPhoto immediately and asked if I wanted to import the latest photos and videos taken since my last connection. But the iPhone5, though it does the same with iPhoto, only appears through my iTunes application. I don't see it on my desktop as a drive so that I can drag, copy and paste files, pics, etc. like I could with the Droid. Unless I'm missing something this is a big disappointment to me. The Droid had a microSD card and I had tons of files, etc. stored there and from that I could do my dragging, copying, etc. If anyone is aware of a way to do this on the iPhone5 - please let me know! :)

One bad thing about me switching to the Apple. I am active on other forums, and on one in particular (unrelated to smartphones) I did get into a "bruha" with another member with whom I had been friendly with for a couple of years. He is a diehard Android user and HATES Apple. Okay - I also was an Android fan, but when I posted a few comments about how I was coming around with the Apple and beginning to like it as well or more as my Droid - he went off the deep end, and ultimately quit the forums due to our exchanges. His last comment was calling me an Apple fanboy - which I'm not. Yes - I'm beginning to enjoy my iPhone a lot, but I've no disdain nor harboring any hatred for the Android world which I believe is in many ways superior to Apple iOS6. They are both great systems, in some ways very much alike as much as very much different. Apple does keep a tighter rein on their product, it is more difficult (I believe) to customize the phone than you can with an Android phone - especially when rooting and installing custom roms. I know many jailbreak their iPhones with no issues - but I've also heard many brick them at the same time. I'm not advocating either - but I do wish to say I have no regrets purchasing this iPhone5 despite the fact I entered that VZW store a month ago without the slightest idea I'd be walking out with anything but another Android phone. And I do miss my buddy and hope someday he'll return to our forums where we can let this "love/hate" relationship with Apple/Android thing go away. I'm very upset that it did cost me a friend - for me a phone is just a tool and it's hard to comprehend that a person could let it jeopardize a friendship over it. Sigh...

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Good or bad! :)

Last edited:
I wrote a lengthy review shortly after receiving my iphone about a week after launch. A few weeks later I still love it.

I am very surprised by some of the battery comments above. It is actually one of the things that has impressed me the most about my iPhone 5. I find the battery life significantly better than my 4 or 4S, despite having LTE and a bigger screen. I often get to the end of the day around 40% to 50% and I use my phone all day, even on business conference calls and do not charge it part way through the day.

If you are having battery issues I would try running it down to zero then fully charging it overnight. I have heard that helps sometimes I have done nothing special with mine and it easily lasts all day.

I wrote a lengthy review shortly after receiving my iphone about a week after launch. A few weeks later I still love it.

I am very surprised by some of the battery comments above. It is actually one of the things that has impressed me the most about my iPhone 5. I find the battery life significantly better than my 4 or 4S, despite having LTE and a bigger screen. I often get to the end of the day around 40% to 50% and I use my phone all day, even on business conference calls and do not charge it part way through the day.

If you are having battery issues I would try running it down to zero then fully charging it overnight. I have heard that helps sometimes I have done nothing special with mine and it easily lasts all day.

Have you found that iPhone 5 warms up significantly more than the 4 especially? (I am coming from 4 to 5)
I find after about 15 minutes of use the 5 warms up quite a bit more than the 4 around center back - make sure to check this without case as a case can hide this. I find my wife's white iPhone 5 does not warm up nearly as much. Very strange

Have you found that iPhone 5 warms up significantly more than the 4 especially? (I am coming from 4 to 5)
I find after about 15 minutes of use the 5 warms up quite a bit more than the 4 around center back - make sure to check this without case as a case can hide this. I find my wife's white iPhone 5 does not warm up nearly as much. Very strange

If you want to really make an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 warm up, just play GeoDefense Storm for 30 minutes straight on full brightness. I recommend you don't have the phone in a case when you do it. LOL

The iPhone 4 had a single core CPU and GPU. The 4S and 5 are multicore CPU/GPUs. So the heat generated can and will be significantly higher if you push the phone to its limit.