What's new

not fair to have to buy outlook for icloud

jim_joh

Reaction score
It is not fair for Apple to make you buy expensive Microsoft Outlook to use icloud features. I have Outlook 2003 but will never buy the version required. jim_joh

How is it Apples fault that Micro$oft charges you to upgrade Outlook?

Why don't you set up gmail account and forward your ourlook mail to gmail the have apple mail retrieve it works fine. And no it is not apple's fault at all in any way shape or form

It is not fair for Apple to make you buy expensive Microsoft Outlook to use icloud features. I have Outlook 2003 but will never buy the version required. jim_joh

First off, Outlook, above 2003, is only needed if you are syncing contacts and calendars. Since gmail provides both for free, export your outlook calendar and contacts, import them into gmail and then setup gmail for those two items. You will accomplish two goals.

1) You are no longer bound to a paid piece of software.

2) Every smart phone on the planet talks to gmail. Which means if you ever have to switch, you already have an account ready to use and up to date.

I once tried the "sync with Gmail Contacts" option when I synced my iPhone, and I'm not going to do that again, let me tell you! It caused most of my Google contacts to be duplicated multiple times, resulting in thousands of extra entries in my Google Contacts! I finally got them all deleted, but I'm not letting that happen again.

I have been using Windows Address Book on my PC to sync with my iPhone, and it's been working fine. Would I really have to buy Outlook if I wanted my computer address book to sync to my iCloud account? That seems a little harsh.

I have outlook on my work computer, and currently have it set up to sync the calendar only to box.net as a caldav server. Does anyone know the settings for using iCloud as a caldav server if it possible. I have it set like this because I have a share point calendar set to sync to outlook and then outlook syncs to the caldav server. Do to security at work, I can't set it up any other way that I have found.

Thanks in advance.

Skull One, are you absolutely sure that you only need Outlook if you want to sync Contacts and Calendars? Do you know this from first hand experience? I ask, because I disagree and I want to know if I'm wrong. When I try to configure iCloud with ONLY the Photo Stream option checked (ie: Calendar, Emal, Contacts are all NOT enabled), I still get an error that iCould requires Outlook 2007 or 2010. It gives an error and will not sync photos or anything else. I have tried for hours to get around it (uninstalling, re-installing, unchecking boxes, rechecking boxes, etc), but now I'm nearly positive that Outlook is a REQUIREMENT whether you want to sync Calendars/Contacts or not. And if this is true, then all of the responses that recommend using Gmail contacts (which is what I use) don't actually help here. I'm pretty sure if you want to use iCloud on a PC, then you need to have Outlook 2007 or 2010 installed. Period. And in my opinion it's a lousy thing for Apple to require. Does anyone know from first hand experience that I'm wrong? I would LOVE to be wrong here...

Skull One, are you absolutely sure that you only need Outlook if you want to sync Contacts and Calendars? Do you know this from first hand experience? I ask, because I disagree and I want to know if I'm wrong. When I try to configure iCloud with ONLY the Photo Stream option checked (ie: Calendar, Emal, Contacts are all NOT enabled), I still get an error that iCould requires Outlook 2007 or 2010. It gives an error and will not sync photos or anything else. I have tried for hours to get around it (uninstalling, re-installing, unchecking boxes, rechecking boxes, etc), but now I'm nearly positive that Outlook is a REQUIREMENT whether you want to sync Calendars/Contacts or not. And if this is true, then all of the responses that recommend using Gmail contacts (which is what I use) don't actually help here. I'm pretty sure if you want to use iCloud on a PC, then you need to have Outlook 2007 or 2010 installed. Period. And in my opinion it's a lousy thing for Apple to require. Does anyone know from first hand experience that I'm wrong? I would LOVE to be wrong here...

Ok let me be very clear.

"IF" you have EVER used Outlook for ANYTHING under your install of iTunes/iOS, it memorizes this condition and will require you to upgrade your Outlook to anything newer than 2003 to continue to operate properly. It DOES NOT MATTER if you delete iTunes and reinstall it. The DATA is already there and is persistent in iOS.

If you don't meet that condition, Outlook isn't needed for proper operation of an iOS device and you have a different issue that you are not explaining clearly enough for me to troubleshoot properly.

Is there an app for gmail or? I'm interested in syncing all my mail to this gmail thing.

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 using Tapatalk

Is there an app for gmail or? I'm interested in syncing all my mail to this gmail thing.

The official app from Google for Gmail was on the app market for less than 6 hours if memory serves.

The official app from Google for Gmail was on the app market for less than 6 hours if memory serves.

Yeah was just looking and it seems there are sister apps for gmail. How can I get gmail on my phone and sync my others to it? Through gmail in settings calendar and mail perhaps?

Ok let me be very clear.

"IF" you have EVER used Outlook for ANYTHING under your install of iTunes/iOS, it memorizes this condition and will require you to upgrade your Outlook to anything newer than 2003 to continue to operate properly. It DOES NOT MATTER if you delete iTunes and reinstall it. The DATA is already there and is persistent in iOS.

If you don't meet that condition, Outlook isn't needed for proper operation of an iOS device and you have a different issue that you are not explaining clearly enough for me to troubleshoot properly.

Ahh. That is almost certainly it. Outlook 2003 is installed (but never used) and it's absolutely possible that at some point a check box was clicked somewhere by mistake or by default or whatever to temporarily bring Outlook into the picture. Outlook was never used for anything, but I can't guarantee that some syncing feature wasn't enabled and then disabled. So that probably explains it.

So once this is done, it can't be undone?

Thanks for the clarification.