What's new

Need Help With Jail Breaking

u8muhrice

Reaction score
So I have absolutely zero idea what I am doing. I consider myself to be tech savvy but I have no idea about anything with jailbreaking an iPhone. I've read the FAQs and none of it makes any sense to me. So I need your help to explain what I need to do in layman terms:

So I live in Vietnam and I bought a jailbroke iPhone 4 (not 4s) from my friend. He jailbroke it but his apps and contacts are still there.

How do I do a hard reset so that I have a clean slate? I know I cannot update it to 1.6.3. So what are the steps I need to do in order to reset his iPod so that I can put my own apps and contacts on there. In addition, how do I put my own apps as well. Do I need to download a program?

Thanks for the help all.

If we're still talking about the iPhone 4 and not about an iPod, then there are several methods that we can use depending on what's available to us.

I would say the easiest method would be this method here, where you don't have to restore your device, you don't have to re-activate it, and you don't have to re-jailbreak the device. If you're savvy in terms of PC software, it should be an easy process as there really isn't much to do on the phone itself.

thanks for the help. it looks like what I am trying to do exactly but

can you explain this to me as if I was 5 years old?

Can you tell me how to even do the first step: First you'll need to add the following repository into Cydia.

I dont even know how to add any commands. Do i plug in my iPhone in the computer or can I do it in the Cydia app?

Basically, it wipes your device completely up to the barebones of it. You can either erase only the jailbroken tweaks, or everything but the core jailbreak itself. It's like restoring the device, but keeping the jailbreak, which cannot be done by normal means like using iTunes. It's basically a rewind button, undo-ing all the changes that has ever been done to the device, making it feel like it's fresh out of the box.

To add a repository, open up Cydia. On the taskbar on the bottom, tap on Manage, then tap on Sources, then tap on Edit on the top right. Tap on add on the top left, then enter the repository as it is. Make sure you get the backslash ( / ) at the end of it as well. Once it's been added, you'll see the "Return to Cydia" button on the bottom. Now tap Done on the top (if applicable). Then tap on Search, and type in ILEX and you should see a package called "ILEX R.A.T" get the newest one. Tap on it, tap on the top right button, tap on the top right button again, and it should install it, asking you to respring your device.

That will install ILEX R.A.T. Then follow the guide to use either PuTTy or Terminal to execute the wiping command, or you can use MobileTerminal (downloaded form Cydia) to run the same command.

hey thanks for the help so far bro.

So how do I find MobileTerminal in the Cydia store? Do I go to click on the Sections button and find it from there?

alright I think I actually got it now. Thanks for the help bro. How do I remove my friend's previous contacts? Is there an app for that?

If you're using ILEX RAT, follow the part where it says option 12. That'll delete everything except the jailbreaking, meaning photos, contacts, apps, preferences, apps, notes, etc.