What's new

My iphone 4 running 4.3.3

GSM if your iPhone uses a sim card... CDMA if it doesn't. I suggest downloading the 5.1.1 IPSW to your desktop and restoring from it... through iTunes. Sounds complicated but it truly isn't. I'll tell you how here shortly. GSM or CDMA?

Should i do this ?

Simply plug your iPhone in, back up in iTunes, then hold power & home for 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep holding home until your computer detects the phone, open iTunes, and click restore. It'll then upgrade to 5.1.1, then you can restore your contacts, apps, and music back onto the phone. After that, it's always best to click Reset All Settings (won't delete apps, music, or photos, just reset the settings on your device, which is good to get rid of all jailbreak files), then use Absinthe 2.0.x, or the latest redsn0w. And, just some advice, but you should update more often, better for the device.

Last edited:
Says iphone 3 mate , im on iphone 4 ? And cant i just do like the post above says or will that not work ? I have no idea what to do with the ipsw dose itunes not upgrade me to that anyway ? Im confussed man , sorry for being such a nood after @ after jb and upgrading it driving me insaaanneeee lol but ill get there ;-)

Last edited:
Should i do this ?Simply plug your iPhone in, back up in iTunes, then hold power & home for 10 seconds, then release the power button but keep holding home until your computer detects the phone, open iTunes, and click restore. It'll then upgrade to 5.1.1, then you can restore your contacts, apps, and music back onto the phone. After that, it's always best to click Reset All Settings (won't delete apps, music, or photos, just reset the settings on your device, which is good to get rid of all jailbreak files), then use Absinthe 2.0.x, or the latest redsn0w. And, just some advice, but you should update more often, better for the device.
Since you're going to be updating from 4.3.3 to 5.1.1... we don't recommend using a backup you create from 4.x.x to restore to in iOS 5.1.1. What I suggest... is to have your contacts saved via the contacts Tab in iTunes.. to an email account. Cause lets face it... people lose their contacts all the time during these things. Once you have the 5.1.1 IPSW downloaded... you're going to have your iPhone connected to iTunes... hold shift and click Restore. Then select the location where the 5.1.1 IPSW is located and let it run it's magic. Also... use a web browers other than Internet Explorer to download the IPSW and JB tool. IE jacks it up for some reason.

Says iphone 3 mate , im on iphone 4 ? And cant i just do like the post above says or will that not work ? I have no idea what to do with the ipsw dose itunes not upgrade me to that anyway ? Im confussed man , sorry for being such a nood after @ after jb and upgrading it driving me insaaanneeee lol but ill get there ;-)
Yes, it say's "3". Trust me... it's the correct one. :)

Nice 1 buddy thanks will try it out soon ;-)

Yes, you can just click the Restore button in iTunes. What it does then is... down load the IPSW to a temp file and restores to it. Then deletes the physical IPSW file. Saving it manually allows you to retain a copy of it for future use and not having to wait for iTunes to download it every time.

Thomasjtsi said:
Yes, you can just click the Restore button in iTunes. What it does then is... down load the IPSW to a temp file and restores to it. Then deletes the physical IPSW file. Saving it manually allows you to retain a copy of it for future use and not having to wait for iTunes to download it every time.

I thought iTunes only downloads it once...then it stays there..until a new iOS version is download through iTunes taking its place.

zig9449 said:
I thought iTunes only downloads it once...then it stays there..until a new iOS version is download through iTunes taking its place.

Does it Zig? It's been such a long time since I've let iTunes do it automatically that I don't even remember.

Thomasjtsi said:
Does it Zig? It's been such a long time since I've let iTunes do it automatically that I don't even remember.

Yeah.. Once you download it once, you can restore without downloading It again..

There is no concept of one file taking another ones "place". iTunes will download the IPSW file it needs for a restore or update operation without replacing anything, however, if that file happens to already be in it's designated download location it does not need to download it again. Depending on the platform and the way iTunes has been used, those files already downloaded may be deleted in time, so it's not always true to way iTunes only downloads it once. It downloads it if needed for the current operation.

Most hardened jailbreakers will keep their own store of IPSW files and use the shift-restore method if an iTunes operation is needed since we tend to require IPSW files for feeding in to a variety of other tools too. Downloading them directly can also be more reliable than using iTunes in some situations, particularly for folks with less reliable internet connections.

Another great reason for maintaining our firmware download page - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Download once, use many... :)

Last edited:
f4780y said:
There is no concept of one file taking another ones "place". iTunes will download the IPSW file it needs for a restore or update operation without replacing anything, however, if that file happens to already be in it's designated download location it does not need to download it again. Depending on the platform and the way iTunes has been used, those files already downloaded may be deleted in time, so it's not always true to way iTunes only downloads it once. It downloads it if needed for the current operation.

Most hardened jailbreakers will keep their own store of IPSW files and use the shift-restore method if an iTunes operation is needed since we tend to require IPSW files for feeding in to a variety of other tools too. Downloading them directly can also be more reliable than using iTunes in some situations, particularly for folks with less reliable internet connections.

Another great reason for maintaining our firmware download page - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Download once, use many... :)

Yeah...I know...that's why I'm not 100% sure...I alway have all my iPSWs rite there...always...never let iTunes download iPSWs for me.

I even download them myself. And manually put them in the "iPhone Updates" folder...the folder that iTunes stores iPSWs in.

iTunes does it much slower...don't know why.