What's new

My iphone 4 running 4.3.3

jockmcd

Reaction score
It has been for some now, can i go straight to 5.1.1 from jailbroken 4.3.3 and then absinthe or would i need to restore my phone in itunes first ?

Unlock as in a 4 digit number to unloxk phone to use it?

jockmcd said:
Unlock as in a 4 digit number to unloxk phone to use it?

Unlock meaning not using the official carrier the phone was "sold" with

I use still use the original carrier so its not unlocked like that , so what should i do restore on itunes then upgrade to 5.1.1 on itunes , this is ofcourse if i take the plunge ;-)

But will i loose everything on my phone , should i remove everything first ?

Make a backup first and then restore after you restore then sync your backup and jailbreak

jockmcd said:
I use still use the original carrier so its not unlocked like that , so what should i do restore on itunes then upgrade to 5.1.1 on itunes , this is ofcourse if i take the plunge ;-)

I highly recommend that you DO NOT restore from a backup.

Restoring to iOS 5...then restoring a backup that was from a jailbroken iOS 4 firmware is just a bad idea.

There at least a 90% chance you will have problems if you do that.

Restore...SETUP AS NEW DEVICE. NOT FROM BACKUP.

You can always transfer apps and music from iPhone to iTunes via the "transfer purchases" option *before* restoring. Can't go wrong there. Unless you have none-iTunes music..then you will have to transfer music via DiskAid($) it iTools(free).

As for contacts...there are many app store apps that you can use to upload contacts to a cloud service..then restore them back. I used "Contacts Backup Over Dropbox" app from the AppStore when I was on ios 4. but that cost $2 I think, and I know there is a free one that works well..just cannot think of the name.

Once you are on iOS 5 you can use iCloud to backup contacts, and will never have to worry about losing contacts again.

But definitely never restore to iOS 5 from an iOS 4 backup. *Especially* if the backup was takin from a jailbroken device. as I said...at least a 90% chance you will have problems doing that.

As long as you do exactly as I said you should he fine.

The only thing that could cause problems is restoring from your iOS 4 backup at this point...so setup as new device...jailbreak..then sync apps, music etc...but DO NOT jailbreak *after* syncing apps, music, etc...unless you are going to use the DFU jailbreak method with redsn0w.

If you are going to use Absinthe, it is best you jailbreak freshly after restore..THEN sync music, apps, tones, videos, etc.

Last edited:
Sounds great bud, i will so in a couple of weeks , poss be back with more questions nearer the time ;)

So let me check if i am correct here, I have an iphone 4 running 4.3.3 with jailbreak, below would be the steps I would use:

1. Plug in to itunes and upgrade to 5.1.1 even although phone is jailbroken ?

Or

1. Plug into itunes and restore to 4.3.3 then upgrade to 5.1.1 ?

I know the absinthe part as ive done my ipad and my wifes iphone on 5.1.1 its just the fact i am jailbroken on 4.3.3 thats confusing me, what is the procedure i should do, i know its probably really easy but must make sure i do it correctly, cheers .

Al.

You're going to plug into iTunes are upgrade directly to 5.1.1. Then when that's finished... you'll use the JB tool. Would you like links for the 5.1.1 IPSW and the JB tool?

So I should be upgrading to 5.1.1 striaght away through itunes even though im jailbroken on 4.3.3 is this correct ?

Last edited:
Of course. :) IPSW is the iOS version you're restoring/updating to. The JB tool is Absinthe yes. I'll get the links together for ya. One quick question... is your iPhone 4 a GSM or CDMA iPhone... because the IPSWs are different.

So I should be upgrading to 5.1.1 striaght away through itunes even though im jailbroken on 4.3.3 is this correct ? Do i need the ipsw link or just upgrade straight through itunes , whats gma or cdma thing , im in the uk if that helps ?