What's new

Managing Photos in Albums

NoBite

Reaction score
I have created a few folders in my Photos app. I am trying to clean up my Camera Roll album. What I see is that ALL my photos stored on my phone reside in the Camera Roll album. As mentioned, I have several other folders of special interest photos.

Is there a way to delete photos from the Camera Roll and still keep them in the specialty folders I created?

Part 2: Since many pictures (and videos) are showing up in the Camera Roll and in another folder, are those pictures and videos really using up twice the storage space, or are these specialty folders holding mere pointers to the photos which all reside in the Camera Roll?

Technically, all photos reside in your camera roll and photo steam is in the cloud. Anything you place in an album is merely a link so it it not a duplicate nor is it using twice the space to store the same photo in two albums.

Thank you, bear7962. I was hoping for more flexibility.

I mean, it would be great to be able to clean up the massive number of photos in my Camera Roll while not disturbing the photos in, say, the Favorites folder. I understand now why that's not possible.

Happy to know they aren't taking up double the space in memory, but I still see them twice.

Happy to know they aren't taking up double the space in memory, but I still see them twice.
You can always use a photo album app. I like MyPhoto. You can create album groups and albums. It has lots of great features. And once uploaded to the album you can delete them from the camera roll. I prefer it to creating albums in the photos app. The Aviary Photo Editor is included in the App.

There's nothing you can do about that, unless you use a third party photo storage app as mentioned by Ledsteplin, except to not open the camera roll when not absolutely required.

You can always use a photo album app. I like MyPhoto. You can create album groups and albums. It has lots of great features. And once uploaded to the album you can delete them from the camera roll. I prefer it to creating albums in the photos app. The Aviary Photo Editor is included in the App.

Very clever! I will look into this app. Thank you for the tip!