What's new

Locking your iPhone - is it a pain?

Ok, so that change does not prevent someone from deleting an app from your iPhone - like FindMyiPhone. I just deleted an app, though I have my apps "Restricted," and it didn't ask for a password. Were your instructions meant to do something else?

It doesn't matter if you restrict deleting the app...they can still turn off Find My iPhone in Location Services. That's why it's a useless app unless you've simply lost your phone. If it's stolen, they can just turn it off. It also will not work if the phone is off.

It doesn't matter if you restrict deleting the app...they can still turn off Find My iPhone in Location Services. That's why it's a useless app unless you've simply lost your phone. If it's stolen, they can just turn it off. It also will not work if the phone is off.

There needs to be a location-finder app that's invisible in some way. That way in case it's stolen, the thief won't know to delete it.

I know. I sent feedback to Apple on this very subject. If you do a search over on the Apple support forums, there are many posts about this issue.

I know. I sent feedback to Apple on this very subject. If you do a search over on the Apple support forums, there are many posts about this issue.

Sounds like such an app would be a pretty hot seller in the App Store if someone created one. Too bad I don't know how to make 'em.

yeah that''s disappointing news about restrictions for app deleting. it would be very important to have a way to make sure a person who stole your phone could not stop you from finding their location. that would be hugely awesome and quite a deterrent - though hackers would eventually find a way around it.

Couple of points, Find my phone app does not need to be on the phone. You only need it installed to use your phone to find another one. Secondly if its password protected and the option to erase data after x tries at least your data would be somewhat safe. Find my Phone will allow you to erase data remotely or lock it remotely so if you are quick you may prevent your data from getting into the wrong hands. And if you simply left it somewhere it will help find it. Really those items are all its supposed to do right?

Couple of points, Find my phone app does not need to be on the phone. You only need it installed to use your phone to find another one. Secondly if its password protected and the option to erase data after x tries at least your data would be somewhat safe. Find my Phone will allow you to erase data remotely or lock it remotely so if you are quick you may prevent your data from getting into the wrong hands. And if you simply left it somewhere it will help find it. Really those items are all its supposed to do right?

If you look under your location settings, it must be enabled to work. You may be thinking of the old app that was under Mobile Me. It is now incorporated with iCloud. It can be turned off and IS useless if a person steals the phone. It is only useful at this point if you lose your phone. It is not password protected by itself, only under the main pass lock option for the whole phone. Which is what this whole thread is about!

Restrictions can be configured so that Find My iPhone can't be turned off without a password.

Restrictions can be configured so that Find My iPhone can't be turned off without a password.

A simple factory restore will wipe all your configuration, find my iPhone will be turn OFF after that.

Can you explain how?

Fist turn ON find my iPhone in settings> iCloud> find my iPhone/
Now go to setting> general> restriction> enable restriction (set your password) > allow changes: Location> don't allow changes/
After that, go to settings> iCloud/ you will see that find my iPhone is grey out and unable to turn off, same if you go to settings> location service/ everything in there will be grey out too.

Thanks for that info Bab...it is a PIA to have to deal with location services in restrictions though, but I guess you have to do that if you hope to possibly locate it in a small window of time before they wipe it.

Of course, in the end Find my iPhone will also not work with the phone totally off, but I suppose they have to turn it on at some point to restore it. You just have to be on guard to get the alert or be watching when they do.

using a combination of find my iPhone, restricted, and an unlock screen password will give you the maximum time to locate your phone after a stolen scenario. a thief wants an iPhone turned on to use it. they don't want to simply leave it off. but the tech savvy thief will understand about putting it in DFU mode upon stealing it which will indeed bypass even the lock screen password i think. in short, I don't think there's any foolproof way of locating your phone when it's been stolen.