What's new

Buying used carrier locked Iphone

Berg

Reaction score
Hello,

My old phone is not working that well and I am considering buying a used Iphone 4, the one I am looking at is on Ebay and locked to a carrier (Orange).
At the moment I use Orange already (prepaid) and would like to continue so.
So my questions are:
1: Can I continue using the prepaid Orange (or one of the very cheap subscriptions) or do I have to use the plan that this phone was bought on?
1: If I buy this used Iphone locked to Orange will I ever be liable for the possible remaining subscription on this phone?
2: The phone is 6 months old. Can I assume that the phone will be locked no more than 1 1/2 year more max?

I hope you can help me out!

There are so many factors that you have to look at, Firstly Orange I dont think does 6 month contracts so maybe the seller plans to carry on paying for the contract but use a different phone? you have to ask and find out the situation is but if the person is just selling it to you and then decides not to pay the monthly bill then orange can basically IMEI block the phone and you wont be using it in for long.

As long as the contracts is paid off of sorted out in a way that wont make orange block the phone you will be ok using it with your pre paid micro sim.

and about the device being locked, some carriers will unlock devices before the year is up for free and some times a small fee as long as youre a customer of theirs so you could also request for the seller to get it unlocked if you plan to use another carrier apart from orange