What's new

limera1n gone live

]Limera1n surprise
After a few very dramatic days in the jailbreak community, geohot has come out of nowhere to release limera1n. It’s a bootrom-level jailbreak that works on the iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, the iPad, and (technically) the AppleTV 2G.

DO NOT USE LIMERA1N IF YOU USE THE ULTRASN0W CARRIER UNLOCK — wait for PwnageTool to incorporate the limera1n exploit. This is so that you can avoid updating your baseband and losing the unlock (possibly forever).

Limera1n uses a different exploit than SHAtter, and in fact covers more devices. Although some may question geohot’s dramatic and competitive style, he obviously does have considerable skill pulling this together in just over a day (although he’s had the underlying exploit for months). Credit also goes to @comex, who provides the untethered aspect of limera1n via another one of his growing list of kernel hacks.

The release of limera1n has (hopefully!) averted the burning of 2 bootrom holes at once (both his and SHAtter). Releasing SHAtter now would be a complete waste of a perfectly good bootrom hole in light of limera1n, and so it can be held until Apple closes limera1n’s hole. While there’s no guarantee that Apple won’t also close SHAtter by then, it provides a ray of hope for devices after Apple’s bootrom respin. Meanwhile, look for an alternate implementation of the limera1n exploit in greenpois0n (and possibly other tools), where it should undergo more testing too.

Limera1n wasn’t tested very thoroughly and does have some issues. Geohot typically works these out in subsequent (and rapid) releases (there are already 3 beta versions of it as of Saturday night!). In the meantime, feel free to discuss any problems and their solutions in our comments section.

Dev-Team Blog

Could anyone advise if I have beta 2 of limera1n installed can I install beta 4 straight on top or do I have to restore to 4.1 1st?

if i used the first beta to jb my phone do i need to restore my phone then use beta 3, or can i just jump into beta 3?

Nevermind, working and browsing Cedia now. It's been a while since I upgraded to 4.1 and haven't had it jailbroken. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
]Limera1n surprise
After a few very dramatic days in the jailbreak community, geohot has come out of nowhere to release limera1n. It’s a bootrom-level jailbreak that works on the iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G, the iPad, and (technically) the AppleTV 2G.

DO NOT USE LIMERA1N IF YOU USE THE ULTRASN0W CARRIER UNLOCK — wait for PwnageTool to incorporate the limera1n exploit. This is so that you can avoid updating your baseband and losing the unlock (possibly forever).

Limera1n uses a different exploit than SHAtter, and in fact covers more devices. Although some may question geohot’s dramatic and competitive style, he obviously does have considerable skill pulling this together in just over a day (although he’s had the underlying exploit for months). Credit also goes to @comex, who provides the untethered aspect of limera1n via another one of his growing list of kernel hacks.

The release of limera1n has (hopefully!) averted the burning of 2 bootrom holes at once (both his and SHAtter). Releasing SHAtter now would be a complete waste of a perfectly good bootrom hole in light of limera1n, and so it can be held until Apple closes limera1n’s hole. While there’s no guarantee that Apple won’t also close SHAtter by then, it provides a ray of hope for devices after Apple’s bootrom respin. Meanwhile, look for an alternate implementation of the limera1n exploit in greenpois0n (and possibly other tools), where it should undergo more testing too.

Limera1n wasn’t tested very thoroughly and does have some issues. Geohot typically works these out in subsequent (and rapid) releases (there are already 3 beta versions of it as of Saturday night!). In the meantime, feel free to discuss any problems and their solutions in our comments section.
Dev-Team Blog

nice post, thank you

Hi Folks, New to all this.

but have some experiance.

question. i have jailbroken my i phone 4 using this (version 4.1)

one problem i see that has arrised while using.

downloaded the iphone explorer for my pc, and when i try to acess folders you normally cannot acess. It pops up with are "are you sure you have jailbroken sucessfully"

as i want to change ringtone/message alert tones etc... anyone know a way around this?

im guessing its just this jailbreak as it isnt done like the other way?

Any help would be Great.

Cheers
Craig

Ok I think I'm going to try this my I4 has 01.59.00 4.1 if I jailbreak with limerain and unlock with Ultrasnow will that change my Baseband??.

Trying to save 30.00

TIA

I JB ip4 via limera1n and everything works great except, the server can't access email accounts. Anyone else have similar problems?

okay okay, I said I wouldnt but my mates have made it rain so thought I would too, just need updates for my3g, remove background sbs and backgrounder

It keeps telling me that my phone is jail broken but there Isn't no lime rain app for me to click on

Looks like limera1n is now out of beta. Can I jailbreak overtop of beta 4 or do I have to Restore first in ITunes?