What's new

Just installed Siri on iPhone 4 OS 5.1 tethered jailbreak

jkaatz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just jailbroke my iPhone 4 on OS 5.1 with tethered JB with redsn0w... I got to playing around, and went for it with adding Siri and it was a success. I must say, Siri is really cool and fun to play around with.

Has anyone else successfully done this? When I was reading tutorials, it said people were having issues. I might have been successful because I'm running OS 5.1.

There are lots of issues with installing Siri on unsupported devices. First of all there are legality issues, there are only 2 or 3 methods of installing Siri on older devices that are actually legal methods. On top of that, you need someone with a 4S key to provide you with a proxy server that has their key installed in order to use it.

A new alternative to using a Siri proxy is to use AssistantServer Installer which allows you to use the Siri framework with various 3rd party API keys. This is great because you don't need someone to give you a proxy server, but at the same time you do not get the full Siri experience.

What method did you use if I may ask?

I just installed an iPhone 4S certificate and it worked fine. Didn't have to mess with any proxy's or pay a dime. So far, so good.

I would post a link to the tutorial I used, but I learned my lesson about posting links earlier :p

Installing a certificate is only half of what you need to do. After that you must specify a Proxy IP in Spire settings, there is no other way. Unless you used something like H1Siri which is illegal and jeopardizes your privacy.

Is there any other reason why it's working then without doing that? Where are Spire settings?

Settings>Spire and no there is no other reason why it should be working, unless the certificate you installed somehow modified the Spire settings as well, but I don't see how that would be possible.

I don't have a "Spire" under Settings. Is it Settings > something else > spire?

guzzoni.apple.com is my certificate, I can pull up all details under Settings > General > Profile... it expires December 23rd 2012

Nope, it's just under Settings>Spire, if you don't have that option then you did not use the Spire method which means you used one of the illegal methods and your personal information has now been jeopardized.

Here is what the setting icon looks like:
$Spire-settings_350.jpg

Yes, SiriPort is an illegal russian Siri port. The method in which they distribute the Siri framework is illegal as it violate's Apple's copyright laws. AFAIK, Spire is the only legal method of obtaining the Siri framework since it is downloaded directly from Apple's servers.

I don't know because I've never used it, but apparently it doesn't because the OP is using SiriPort and he does not have Spire installed.

Jmills87 said:
I don't know because I've never used it, but apparently it doesn't because the OP is using SiriPort and he does not have Spire installed.

Huh. I swear I read SiriPort requires Spire.lol. Must have read the wrong info I guess, or just confused it up myself.lol.

Well I just checked and SiriPort does not require Spire.lol.

I don't see the point in taking up space with Siri unless you have it already with the 4s. My wife has a 4s and other than asking it funny questions to see what it replies it useless IMO. I can open an app and find what I'm looking for faster than Siri.