What's new

iOS 5.1 Tethered jailbreak issues

iOSDeveloperGrl

Reaction score
Heyo,

I have an iPod Touch 4G running iOS 5.1 that I recently jailbroke using Redsn0w (yes it is the newest version...). Anywho, it worked marvelously for a few days and then all of a sudden the iPod started respringing like crazy. At first it was just once every few days, but then it became multiple times everyday, always respringing, going into safe mode, and then having me respring into normal mode again. THEN it started respringing so much that I couldn't even unlock my iPod. AND THEN it started respringing three or four times in a row and then restarting. Which made me have to go onto my computer (Mac OS X Mountain Lion Beta 2 (I'm a developer) ), open Redsn0w, and boot tethered; like a million times... After booting tethered, the cycle continued. Respringing, restarting, booting tethered. So that's pretty much been my life for about a week. Anyone who has ANY kind of fix for this or suggestion is HIGHLY WELCOME!!!!!!

Thanks,
iOSDeveloperGrl

iOSDeveloperGrl said:
Heyo,

I have an iPod Touch 4G running iOS 5.1 that I recently jailbroke using Redsn0w (yes it is the newest version...). Anywho, it worked marvelously for a few days and then all of a sudden the iPod started respringing like crazy. At first it was just once every few days, but then it became multiple times everyday, always respringing, going into safe mode, and then having me respring into normal mode again. THEN it started respringing so much that I couldn't even unlock my iPod. AND THEN it started respringing three or four times in a row and then restarting. Which made me have to go onto my computer (Mac OS X Mountain Lion Beta 2 (I'm a developer) ), open Redsn0w, and boot tethered; like a million times... After booting tethered, the cycle continued. Respringing, restarting, booting tethered. So that's pretty much been my life for about a week. Anyone who has ANY kind of fix for this or suggestion is HIGHLY WELCOME!!!!!!

Thanks,
iOSDeveloperGrl

It is most likely a tweak you have installed. While in safe mode remove any tweaks you installed rite before it stated happening.

Note: you should have iFile installed. Crazy not have iFile installed. Okay back to the subject:

If nothing you uninstall works then try reinstalling Mobile Substrate. If that does not work, do you have Springtomize 2 installed. Well you should.lol. If so open Springtomize, scroll to the bottom, tap on "More" then tap "Settings Files" then delete every one of them. Springtomize not only adds the ability to customize but also has the ability to get you out of jams.;)

If that does not work then make a custom iPSW with Sn0wvreeze and restore to that. NOT FROM BACKUP.

Once you've made the iPSW it will save to your desktop. An application called iBooty will appear on your desktop upon the completion of the iPSW as well.

Simply enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB and shift+restore in iTunes pointing the Sn0wbreeeze iPSW. IREB is located within Sn0wbreeze.

Once the restore is done (remember not from backup) sync your apps and music.

Then open iBooty, shut off device and enter DFU mode. This is booting tethered. It is also a much faster boot then redan0w's tether boot.

Always completely shut down device before entering DFU mode. Don't take the short cut, entering DFU while the device is on. Do things rite ya know?lol.

Well..... As I don't know the solution to your problem since there are quite a few possibilities I hope this helps.

Usually an incompatible tweak causes safe mode loops....your problem seem to have gotten worse over time...for that reason alone I would restore to a Sn0wbreeze iPSW that is jailbroken upon restore. ALYSHA recommend that if you are restoring to try to fix a problem then you should not restore from a backup. Problems get backed up with everything else too...sometimes.

Just my $0.02

Alrighty, right now I am removing a ton of stuff from Cydia. Thankfully I just jailbroke my iPod so I don't have much yet. I'm pretty sure that my problem was SBRotator but just to be sure I removed almost everything else too. I'm also (very) happy because my iPod magically decided to actually turn on and let me open Cydia a few minutes ago, so I was actually able to remove the stuff. Phew. Hopefully this will fix it. If not, I will try the other stuff you said. Thanks so much! -iOSDeveloperGrl

iOSDeveloperGrl said:
Alrighty, right now I am removing a ton of stuff from Cydia. Thankfully I just jailbroke my iPod so I don't have much yet. I'm pretty sure that my problem was SBRotator but just to be sure I removed almost everything else too. I'm also (very) happy because my iPod magically decided to actually turn on and let me open Cydia a few minutes ago, so I was actually able to remove the stuff. Phew. Hopefully this will fix it. If not, I will try the other stuff you said. Thanks so much! -iOSDeveloperGrl

Good.

Try to check compatibility with the tweaks you am want to install. I do know that SBRotator does have quite a few tweaks it does not work well with. I bought it in tue beginning and I never use it any more because it doesn't function well with the tweaks I deem more worthy of having.

Thanks! Right now I am booting tethered again... Now it won't even turn on and I don't know what I did. Guess I'll just keep trying. I really don't want to restore so we'll see what happens... :p

iOSDeveloperGrl said:
Thanks! Right now I am booting tethered again... Now it won't even turn on and I don't know what I did. Guess I'll just keep trying. I really don't want to restore so we'll see what happens... :p

Worse case, restore to a Sn0wbreeze iPSW. Then enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB, and shift+restore to the iPSW in iTunes. iREB is located within Sn0wbreeze.

Once restore is done your phone will already be jailbroken. Just sync apps & music then boot tethered with iBooty(Sn0wbreeze's tether boot tool). iBooty boots faster then redsn0w too.

It is important that if you do restore that you DO NOT restore from a backup. Not an iCloud backup, not an iTunes backup. Problems get backed up too along with all other data. I know you don't want to hear that, but the only way to *truly* be rid your device of any problems you need to setup as a new device.

You can still keep all important data when restoring and setting up as new. Just go to Settings> iCloud and toggle on everything you want backed up.

After restore while your setting up the device, just sign in, select "Use iCloud" then everything you had toggled on in Settings> iCloud will be there, like contacts, calendars, reminders, Safari bookmarks, notes, etc. this information always gets downloaded to your device the second you select "Use iCloud" when setting up the device....removing the need to restore from a backup to keep that data on your device. I love that since I never restore from a backup (and never will).

Once you sync your apps and music from iTunes, close iTunes, boot tethered with iBooty, open Cydia, wait till it completely loads, then open the Search tab and type in "Mobile Substrate". Install that first and Respring.

Always shut down device completely before booting tethered or entering DFU in general.

Then enjoy your jailbreak.

Hi :)
I jailbreaked my iPhone 4 with redsn0w to a tethered version a few months ago..
Now i can't synchronize with iTunes, it tells me that my safety copy is destroyed - what can i do??

Hi, i jailbreaked my 3gs with redsn0w a month before, now i can't sync with iTunes, can any body help me for this, will be really thankful.