What's new

Jailbreak has.... LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!!

mlc331

Reaction score
I jailbroke my phone with the latest and greatest. Used Cydia to look for applications that would enhance my experience. Coming from the Droid X, but having nothing but MACs in the house I was pretty sure the iphone would be a great addition. I had one about 2 years ago with ATT, but they were so bad (Att) that I had to pay to get out... Now that BIG RED has got it going I had to give it a try. I do miss the customization features but I had an ace up my sleeve.... JAILBREAK!

After Jailbreaking I found that it seemed to cause way more problems than it solved. Again, just wanted to customize some tones and the look of it a bit. For me... Jailbreak was the wrong way to go. First, I didn't feel that it offered any REALLY solid alternatives to what the Apple App store had. I mean there are some cool things that can be done, but they take a lot of tweaking and fumbling around. I wanted a phone that was drop-dead solid... Steady and REFINED. The iphone is all of those less the customization part. I'm learing to live without the infinite customization aspect of the android phones. I did so only after I re-directed my energy to having a smart phone that did it's job. What was the job you ask???

1. To give me a high quality and consistant operating system.
2. To give me a quality multi-media experience that took little if any tweaking to achieve.
3. To give me more time to worry about life instead of worring about my phone.
4. Something that integrated into my life at work and at home.

Jailbreaking, in my experience, gave me more to worry about. More to tinker with. Ultimately it gave me more worry.

I've went back to my stock iphone 4 32GB and I'm happy I did. Again, I'm back to having a phone that just works....

I hear you thats why i wont jb! most of the problems people have on this forum 9 out of 10 are with a jb phone!

sorry to hear you had such problems.. but imo the iphone 4 is fine with out jb..

i never in 4 years had a single problem with jailbreak with any of the tools released i still today jailbreak and only problems i had where battery draining fast from the apps i had installed like animated wallpapers and celeste... but they are not really problems.

its only a few tweaks but if it gives you problems then your doing well to stay away from it.

I've always jailbroken my iPhone. Most people jailbreak for only one thing, ultrasnow.

I've had plenty of problem with jailbreaking but that's mostly my fault as I like to play about with things I probably shouldn't. Once I get things set up the way I want them and leave things alone my jailbroken iPhone is just fine. Unfortunately I can't leave things alone for long... :(

Not so much that it gave me problems... but it wasn't very user friendly at all. Instead of applications, we're talking packages and different things you can do with the packages (i think). then I had an error with my Springboard (which I have NO clue what that is), the search for applications/packages was not intuitive at all. You almost had to know exactly what it was called. At least that was my experience.

I agree with you UNLEASHED, it's pretty awesome without JB. I'm finding that just about everything I need is available through the App store. I will say that the standardized look and feel is pretty sterile compared to the Adroid system. But, I'll take the silky smooth UI and rock solid performance over "slick look" anyday.

This actually happened this weekend....

I had my iphone 4 for all of 2 days. Already JB'd, I was frustrated trying to learn the lingo, the uses... basically the tech. I decided to Un-JB. Did so and did more research on some of the things I needed. I found 98% of what I needed in the App store and really started to enjoy my 4..... My son and I went into the Verizon store and started messing with the new Thunderbolt. I was expecting it to be blazing fast as it was in a 4g market. I typed in "Lebron James Dunks" in Google. I did it on both my 4 and the TB. Pushed the go button on both at the same time. My 4 actually brought back the results faster than the TB. Did it a second time and the TB was faster, but only by fractions of a second - "Weird....." I thought to myself. I then started to play with the TB. By the way, I've been with Android for about 1.5 years. Since it's release with the original "Moto droid", then to the Eris, then the Incredible and then the X. I've been stock, rooted, bricked etc. etc. I expected a departure from norm with the TB. A slick HTC layer over android to make it smooth and... well, emotional (best I can explain Iphone use - sorry). It was the same-old-same-old! Jittery page manipulation, slight stalling when going to applications and or menus, lag when trying to access portions within applications.... Just rediculous. The rep told me that I shouldn't rate its performance based on the display model. So of course my argument was that the Iphone should be equally as unqualified being a floor sample as it's been out on the floor since Feb. We went over to it and it was silky smooth. His phone rang in his pocket... Guess what???? Big Red's Iphone 4 was pulled out and quickly silenced. FUNNY! he caught me smiling and simply said.... "Yea, your right" and smiled back.

I just think, and now KNOW, that whether you like Apple products or not, you have to admit that their stuff works extremely well. As I explain to people who ask me "why the iphone?", I tell them that the best part of Android is that it's OPEN.... But the worst part about Android is that it's OPEN. Conversely, the worst part about Apple is that it's closed... and the BEST part about Apple is that it's closed. Something to be said about having UBBER-control of a product and the applications associated with it.

My .02 anyway.

the worst part about Apple is that it's closed... and the BEST part about Apple is that it's closed.

I don't think it's ever been put better, but that's exactly why we will always have jailbreaking...

i cant say that i havent had any issues,but just like stated above...mostly cause i keep pushing the limits of my device learning how to do deeper and deerper customizations.

i would deffinatly recomend jailbreaking and adding one,two or three what i consider essential upgrades.
(there are PLENTY MORE tweeks and stuff i use to better my device,but i could not use this phone with-out these few ESSENTIAL UPGRADES.
i would most definatly move to a different device without them)

number one on my very short list...Speed Intensifier. OMG!!!!

i was playing with one of my buddies stock iphone 4.
Iam so used to the animations being so fast they are almost not there,
i couldnt do anything with it,just handed it back.
i dont know why apple would want there device to feel like a slug tide to a rock

second......3G Unrestrictor

why be tied to a wifi hotspot to do certain things....i.e;Facetime,appstore (some larger files)and some games.
its my data package,dont they want me to go over to make more money???

next is Sprimtomize!

it is so much all wrapped in to one...
lockscreen tweeks
icon tweeks
it also has an animation speed tweek
folder options
dock options
just to name a few...
IT IS A MUST HAVE!!!!!

And Of Course For Theming...Winterboard.

i have really been geeking out figuring out how to get my phone just the way i like it...with a few different themes for my diverse mood swings.
now some of it can be pretty time consuming and there can be a learning curve to get some of the more difficult ones installed.

learning photoshop and perpage html and using springjumps to create and customize thems

i couldnt stand for my phone to look like every other one,inside and out,sold world wide.
how many is that??some odd MILLIONS & MILLIONS,im assuming

just my 2 cents....

I hear ya man. Recently went to 4.3.3, and it took me 4 hours. Turns out something in 4.3.3 messed up, had problems with 3G and GPRS. So spend another 4 hours, at night, going back to 4.3.2.

Even though u done with jail breaking, I still highly recommend you save all new SHSH that come out, and upgrade only through baseband preservation mode. It cost you nothing, but when time comes to sell iPhone, in two years, it will be a major plus.

Yea same here, I am constantly on my phone all day tweaking and changing things, but it's what I like to do, and jailbreak gives me that option, if you want just a phone don' t jailbreak

feel you all on the JB.... And I'm sure that if I wanted to spend all the time on my phone tweaking and customizing you'd be there for me.

Heck, i don't even know what SHSH is... :(

For me, the main reason I came over was to have something that just works. I've gotten just that. maybe after I've had the 4 for a while, it will be something I'll go back to. In that, I'll have learned more and the curve won't be so much to overcome.

PEACE!