What's new

Choosing a provider for prepaid plan... share your experiences.

flipjargendy

Reaction score
As soon as my contract is up I am going to Jailbreak an iPhone 3GS that someone gave to me as a gift so I can use it on another carrier's pre paid plan. Right now I am looking at T-Mobile's $30 plan with 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. That is less than I pay now with a contract with more minutes, no data and unlimited texting. I'm just curious if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with carriers. Right now I am with ATT and it looks like their pre paid plans cost the same as having a contract. All I care about is having unlimited data and texting. I don't care about having many minutes. I've looked at VirginMobile and the price is good but they don't have coverage in a couple of states that I go to from time to time.

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jailbreak doesn't mean it's unlocked. It must be unlocked if you want to use it with T-Mobile.

If you use your iPhone with T-Mobile, you'll only get 2G/edge(slow) data speed.

If you don't mind slow data and you have an unlocked iPhone, T-Mobile is a great choice.

You should also look into Straight Talk. They sell prepaid service, $45 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. They run on AT&T's network, so you get full speed 3G data. The catch is that the data isn't truly unlimited. You get about 2GBs a month. It's safe to use 100MB a day, no more than 2GBs a month. I use Straight Talk, previously I used my iPhone 4 on T-Mobile prepaid.

Woah, I knew I was forgeting one. Straight talk looks good. I don't even need to unlock my phone. Thanks for the suggestion and other info.

I will probably give straigh talk a try first. The nice thing is I can try any one whenever I want. NO CONTRACT!

I have the iPhone 3gs and called AT&T and they unlocked it (FREE). I got the T-Mobile 1000 minutes for $100 for 1 year plan. No data. I use wifi if and when I need to go on line. I make few calls so really what I have is an iPod that can make phone calls if and when needed. I bought the iPhone used but it looks like it was never used except the box had been opened. I figure for $128.00 why not?

But that Straight Talk does look good if you make a lot of calls and need a data plan.

Yeah, I got one of my friends iPhone 4 on Straight Talk, and I gotta say I'm jealous.lol.

Every once and a while, data would not work,,,but only lasted a minute or so. Only happened twice, and has had the phone on Straight Talk since last year.

$45 bucks month with unlimited everything except data. It is limited to 2GB,....even tho they claim that it is "unlimited".

$45 bucks month with unlimited everything except data. It is limited to 2GB,....even tho they claim that it is "unlimited".

seems to be what most carriers say "unlimited" and they are not lying because the 3G is unlimited but they fail to mention that after 500mb/1GB/2GB that they start charging you crazy amounts for data but most average users wont even notice it and dont even use 500mb.. But there are a few carriers do offer true unlimited data.

I have the iPhone 3gs and called AT&T and they unlocked it (FREE). I got the T-Mobile 1000 minutes for $100 for 1 year plan. No data. I use wifi if and when I need to go on line...

But that Straight Talk does look good if you make a lot of calls and need a data plan.

The T-Mobile plan is really all I need, I would never use more than 100min/month. I'm curious about two things. How did you get them to unlock the phone for you? Also, on T-Mobile, did GPS and everything work or were there things that did not work properly? I've done a lot of reading and people say they've had problems with that. However, it could just be an old issue that is fixed.

The T-Mobile plan is really all I need, I would never use more than 100min/month. I'm curious about two things. How did you get them to unlock the phone for you? Also, on T-Mobile, did GPS and everything work or were there things that did not work properly? I've done a lot of reading and people say they've had problems with that. However, it could just be an old issue that is fixed.

I contacted AT&T and they said my phone could be unlocked and that they would send me an email with the details. A few days later I got the email. The details were to simple restore the phone and it would then be unlocked so AT&T must have done some behind the scenes changes to unlock the phone upon it being restored.

Anyway it is unlocked and working fine. GPS works fine on wifi. I don't have a data plan so I can't test in on the road.