What's new

Thoughts on my iPhone 4S 1week in...

Needsdecaf

Reaction score
Hello all.

Long time Android platform user (2+ years) and new to the iPhone scene. Had my phone for a week and getting used to it. Some thoughts that you may or not find interesting:

Siri: love it. Not flawless, but oh so useful (I'm in the car a lot and use it even to bypass my car's voice command for dialing numbers).

Battery life: excellent. My Droid X would need a recharge around 2:00 PM. My Galaxy Nexus would need a recharge around 11:00 (really, battery life sucked). My 4S can make it all day without needing a recharge. Same Verizon coverage, same usage pattern.

Usability: Compared to an Android phone, figuring out how to set things up on an iPhone is a snap.

Reliability: Rock solid. This phone just works.

Camera: Excellent. Very key for someone in the field who doesn't want to lug a DSLR sized camera everywhere.

Screen: Resolution is amazing. I had a Droid, a Droid X and a Galaxy Nexus. The iPhone's display resolution, rendering, clarity, whatever is far better. Screen size (lack thereof) is a big bummer, though.

Interface: lack of customization is a big, big drawback if you're used to an Android phone. Can't set profiles for different ringer / notification settings. Can't have different notification tones for different email accounts. No widgets on homescreen. No theming. Etc, etc. I realize that much of this can be overcome by jailbreaking the phone (from what I have read) and hope to be able to jailbreak this one soon.

Apps market: not as significantly better as the Android market as I had thought it would be. Definitely better. But not "blow me away", Chevy vs. Ferrari better. More like Ferrari vs. Porsche.

Exchange Server: About equal to Android

Google integration: obviously not as good as android. :p

Phone: Excellent. Love the visual voicemail (for free, a $10 charge / month on Verizon Android phones). The radio in this phone appears to be equal or better to the Motorola phones, which are reportedly the strongest in the Android market. Call clarity and volume is excellent both on the small and big speakers.

Overall, I'm pleased, but miss a lot from my Android phone. I'm hoping once a jalibreak is found for this phone that it will go a long way to making it look and feel a lot more custom. I had rooted all my Android phones and was running custom ROMS and had MIUI running on my DX and loved that.

I've read all the tips and tricks, etc, and am not finding much useful. I've tried some customization programs and things I've found but they're pretty weak. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Nice that you like your new iPhone, and it's just a matter of time so you can be able to forget about your old phones. The most important thing for me when it comes to phones are reliabilities of incoming and out going calls/SMS and of course the battery life. The rest of if doesn't really matter to me, if I can have them then fine, otherwise I can live without.
Like you mentioned JB will allow you get most of what you are missing on your new iPhone, and soon enough there will be a JB for the iPhone 4S too.
Enjoy your iPhone and enjoy the forum.

Thanks for your thoughts on your new iphone experience, and wish you enjoy it more after jail breaking it 👍

Great feedback. I've also had excellent battery life with my 4S.

I was so anti-Apple until I once asked my son how he would force a reboot on his ipod when it froze on him. He gave me a blank look and said "That's never happened to me before".