What's new

Few Thoughts

dieselpowered

Reaction score
I will preface this topic with the following, I have used Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Android (still currently using a Droid X) and now iPhone.

So because I am a gadget junky I decided to go out and pick up an iPhone 4 from Verizon.

Hmmm where to start.

Well let me start with the pros of the iPhone (not that there are really cons later, just differences)

First thing I noticed is the build quality, everything is very solid on this phone and does not feel cheap (cough...HTC) The OS is as expected, flawless and easy to use...Everything is smooth, bluetooth call quality is excellent, voice dialing is spot on.

Being an Android user, I have become spoiled with a few things, please understand that these issues may be taken care of by apps, however, input is welcomed. There are a lot of apps out there and being a iPhone noob I have not gone through all of them.
  • No LED on the phone to let you know if you missed a call, text, or e mail.
  • Only one signature for e mails, regardless of the number of e mail accounts you have.
  • Addresses within calendar events cannot be clicked to show on the map.
  • Phone numbers within calendar events cannot be clicked to dial on the phone.
  • Setting the alarm to 5PM does not go off at 5AM (sorry little joke cause that was my fault, and yes, I was late)
There are just a few items that I have found being that I have owned the phone for less than 24 hours, I am sure I will have other questions.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hmmm no input...well nonetheless, I have had the device for a few days now, and while the device is solid and works within what it is intended to do, I think I have no choice but return it for a HTC Thunderbolt once it is released. I dont know, the iPhone is a really solid phone and works well, it is just missing some functionality I would really like to have.

Well I have decided to package the phone back up and return it...I will anxiously await the HTC Thunderbolt or Droid Bionic.

Was hoping to get some input in this thread, however, it never happened...no worries.

Don't know if you returned it, but think you would have found more functionality if you had JB it. May functions can be added that way. I was also waiting on the Thunderbolt or Bionic (I still have an Incredible to upgrade this summer). The more I see, the less I'm inclined. The Bionic will be dual core, sure, except for one major problem. Froyo isn't and Gingerbread won't be capable of fully utilizing the dual core. The Thunderbolt is already antiquated hardware. Specwise and otherwise.

The next best I'm doing is waiting for the Incredible Global as a possibility. The iPhone 4 is my wife's so I intend on keeping both technologies, but I'm afraid you may regret the move you are thinking about.

Thanks very much for the insight, I actually did return the phone to await and see what the TB has to offer. I REALLY did like the iPhone, mainly the build quality and screen...everything really was flawless. Of the lacking features I found, truthfully the one thing that get me is this:
  • Addresses within calendar events cannot be clicked to show on the map. Not to mention the ability to then get turn by turn directions to that address.
We did receive an e mail today about the lack of ability to give a signature to each e mail account, Apple did acknowledge it and claims they are working on it.

As far as the Droid Bionic, so far what I have read has not put it in a good light, the reviewer was not sure if it was due to being a pre-production unit or the fact that the OS is not optimized to take advantage of the dual cores, therefore, the phone was very laggy.

We will see how the TB is once it is released, it is possible that I may be owning an iPhone 4 again.