What's new

I think I finally have an excuse to buy a smartphone

MC_Escher

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm making this post because in spite of being a network engineer for YEARS, I've never owned a smart phone of any type. Its not that I haven't wanted one, it's just that I can't bring myself to buy something just because I want it, if I can't think up a good excuse for needing it.

So funny thing...
It looks like I'm going to be working on a project that is going to require me to juggle a lot of balls at the same time and keep track of a HUGE pile of data in multiple file format. Not to mention e-mail.

Kind of making a long story short, I have begun to suspect that an iPhone 4S with 16gig of memory would be a good choice for me. (Note: I don't see myself carrying music, movies or games around. Just not my thing.)

Why?

I don't know if this will make sense but sometimes you have a nail and you just need a plain old ordinary hammer. I think the 4S might be the right hammer for my needs.

I would want my phone to do the following:

• E-mail & Web, of course.
  • Calendar & scheduling.
  • "Voice Notes" (basically I want a voice recorder instead of a pen and pad)
  • Reminders
  • Contacts
  • Opening MS Office documents

I would be doing lots of e-mail with attachments, often including pictures many of which I would want to store on the phone for at least a few weeks at a time.

Mainly, I CANNOT afford to be forgetting things, losing track of them or otherwise forgetting to do something because my memory isn't what it used to be.

It APPEARS that SIRI could be very helpful in that regard.

Now here's the thing...

Its easy for me to ask questions regarding the things I know I need to ask questions about.

What WORRIES me is that I know NOTHING about smart phone, Apple or otherwise, and I don't know what questions I'm simply too ignorant to ask.

So please...
Could you tell me what you think I should know before I actually buy anything? Keep in mind that I'm tech savvy, but I'm in a new area that I've no experience with thus far.

And thanks in advance.

Last edited: