What's new

would you buy a used iPhone?

kittykatty

Reaction score
I upgraded to an iPhone 4S with Verizon a little while ago and had to forfeit my unlimited data plan. I thought that 2gb/mo (same price as unlimited) would be enough, but I used 75% in a week or so (streaming music, whoops), so I am returning the iPhone and I was told my unlimited data plan will be reinstated.
If I find that they won't let me have it back, I'm switching to Sprint.

BUT

I know that if I buy my own phone (as opposed to an upgrade through Verizon), I can keep my data plan.
I did a quick search, and there are some really reasonable prices on used iPhones on craigslist.

Would you ever buy a used iPhone?
If so, what are some things to look for? (Besides scratches...)
Is there a way to find out if an iPhone is stolen? I certainly don't want to purchase stolen goods.

In the end, all I want to do is carry 1 device instead of 2 (phone & iPod). Otherwise I'm not stuck on the iPhone, although I used mine only about 2 weeks.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Simple rule. Learn where EVERY water marker is on an iPhone and take a flashlight so you can inspect them before you hand over your cash.

Definitely check the iDevice over w/ a fine tooth comb! As Skull stated above... check all the visible water mark indicators to see if there's been any water damage. Also, you can contact VZW customer service to check the status of the used iDevice's IEMI # and make sure it's not blacklisted.

A friend told me to also check with the carrier to make sure there are no outstanding balances connected to the phone. That might not mean it's stolen, but it could make things messy.

I had no clue about there being watermark indicators, so thank you!!

I found a 4S 16gb for $250, warranty remaining until July. Haven't contacted any sellers yet. That's the going price in my area. (Funny thing is, some people are trying to get that much for an iPhone with a cracked screen.)

One thing I have to think about, that might be a helpful to others, is that I've been caught in the "too good to be true" situation more than once. That's why I'm really wary of buying a used phone.....Does $250 sound "too good to be true" to anyone? I've found at least 5 in that price range.

Never buy from Craig's List. Never.

Well, I think the same about ebay........so where else is there to purchase a used one?

EDIT: upon more searching, most are listed at $350 (I'm not paying that much) with a few at $250.
And I keep having that nagging "maybe you shouldn't" thought....

Last edited:
I bought mine on the spur of the moment from a Large Flea Market in Harpers Ferry, WVa. I didn't know about the 'water marks' and I did check it over very well. It wasn't charged, wouldn't turn on and I told the lady I wasn't paying $125 for it unless I could turn it on. I ended up buying a car charger and she agreed to use her own car to charge it somewhat.

I had been kept in a case, so the phone its self was in mint condition. She had just bought it (used I found out later) a few months back. I took it straight to Verizon and they checked their lost/stolen records and it was clean. It was the larger of the iPhone 4 and it had nearly 700 songs on it, of which I lost half when I sync'd. :(

But using this forum, I've managed to learn to use my phone, clean it off of any and all other data from the previous owners (yes, 2 that I can tell). And I'm satisfied with my phone.

Kerri

bought 4 from ebay, all s models. one turned up bad esn, got money refunded. the other 3 work fine, checked out fine. i like ebays buyer protection. it covers you if your sold something misleading, such as the water damage or bad esn. ebay will contact verizon or at&t and verify it has a bad esn, if so they will make the seller refund unless he stated in his auction it had a bad esn. craigs list is ok if you can go and meet the buyer, then activate the phone right then on your account to make sure it does have a clean esn. bottom line is if it sounds to good to be true such as 4s 64 gig 200 dollars must sell, then you no its a scam.

I have had 4 Iphones now and with the exception of My new Iphone 5 I have bought Every one from Craig's List with no problems whatsoever.
Just be sure and try it out before you pay if you can and check the IMEI with the carrier.

Would you ever buy a used iPhone?
If so, what are some things to look for? (Besides scratches...)
Is there a way to find out if an iPhone is stolen? I certainly don't want to purchase stolen goods.

I would say check ebay. Make sure you read all of the descriptions throughly, a lot of sellers are pawning off waterdamaged phones and other problem phones that cant be fixed because they know they can sucker buyers into big money. If it sounds shady or to good to be true it is.

Stolen wise, it doesn't matter with ATT - I mean it sucks that it got stolen but you can still use it. With Sprint and Verizon make sure you check the ESN first, if its bad you can use it.

Simple rule. Learn where EVERY water marker is on an iPhone and take a flashlight so you can inspect them before you hand over your cash.

Even this is not fail proof. We have seen many many water damaged phones with water makers in great shape, plus you can easily put a white sticker over the bad ones.

I have read/seen horror stories on the news about people getting killed in CL transactions with iPhones. So be careful.

Overall - just use your common sense. You can find good deals, just be patient and remember that the seller wants your money worse than you want there used phone.