What's new

Is my iPhone completely bust?

Slime

Reaction score
Hi,

This may not be the correct forum to be posting this in, but I stumbled across the unknown error (1) thread and figured if anyone is able to help, it would probably be you guys.

I tried updating my non jailbroken iPhone 4 on Sunday morning to ios 5 but was given an unknown error (1). I took it into the Apple store and they opened up the phone, established it had been water damaged (which it was around 2 months ago when I had it in my pocket during a downpour) and sent me on my way. It has been working absolutely fine up until I tried updating on Sunday morning.

So I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to restore it. If I try and restore using the latest version of iTunes and ios 5, I get an unknown error (1). I've tried installing iTunes 10.2 and reverting back to ios 4.3.3 but that gives me error 3194. Have read the tutorial on how to resolve this by editing my hosts file but that doesn't work.

I've tried jailbreaking and installing cydia but I assume I need to have ios * installed ?

Tearing my hair out and I'm almost resigned to losing it but I wanted to ask if there's anything I should try before I fork out a £120 for another.

Any advice massively appreciated.

I had a problem when upgrading from ios ver 3 to 4. Once I did this my phone kept dropping calls. This continued even when I reverted back to ver 3.something.

I eventually had to get a replacement from apple for £139,
Because it was out of warranty.

Ask at your nearest apple store, they gave me a few good suggestions, before I needed a replacement.

Tbh if the phone worked before the upgrade, and stopped after, i'd be a lot less than polite in the Apple store if being asked to stump up more money.

If you phone is in poor condition then maybe, otherwise they had better call the riot police!

Tbh if the phone worked before the upgrade, and stopped after, i'd be a lot less than polite in the Apple store if being asked to stump up more money.

If you phone is in poor condition then maybe, otherwise they had better call the riot police!

The annoying thing is that because the indicators under the screen have been triggered, I don't have a leg to stand on. It's massively frustrating because I'm almost certain it's not due to water damage as it was perfect before I updated it. They don''t see it that way and because it's out of warranty, there's nothing I can do. I can't prove that it's not down to water damage and they don't have to prove otherwise because the warranty is gone.

:(

I can hear the wail if sirens from here :)

Assuming your in contract, get a print off showing calls etc on the day of your update - and no calls after it.

See how they argue that one away!

OK. First thing is to get you back on stock IOS5 if possible...

1) get rid of any changes you made to your hosts file. Remove all lines referring to gs.apple.com from the file. Get it back to normal.
2) Download the IOS5 firmware file to your desktop from this thread - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/
3) you MUST then get your iPhone into DFU mode using our guide here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/
4) open iTunes, it will say it sees a device in recovery mode which needs to be restored. shift-click (windows) or option-click (osx) on the restore button in iTunes and it will let you pick the firmware file you downloaded in step 2 from your desktop.

The restore should then go through as normal and you will have stock IOS5 on your iPhone4. If you get an error make sure you give us exact details.

Hope that helps.

OK. First thing is to get you back on stock IOS5 if possible...

1) get rid of any changes you made to your hosts file. Remove all lines referring to gs.apple.com from the file. Get it back to normal.
2) Download the IOS5 firmware file to your desktop from this thread - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/
3) you MUST then get your iPhone into DFU mode using our guide here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/
4) open iTunes, it will say it sees a device in recovery mode which needs to be restored. shift-click (windows) or option-click (osx) on the restore button in iTunes and it will let you pick the firmware file you downloaded in step 2 from your desktop.

The restore should then go through as normal and you will have stock IOS5 on your iPhone4. If you get an error make sure you give us exact details.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Sorry for the lateness in responding to this. I went away for 2 weeks on the day I posted this. I've no idea why, but I followed your steps and it worked. I tried this exact same thing countless times before I left so maybe it was a problem with the Apple servers or something. Very relieved. Thanks for your help.

:)

Hi,

Sorry for the lateness in responding to this. I went away for 2 weeks on the day I posted this. I've no idea why, but I followed your steps and it worked. I tried this exact same thing countless times before I left so maybe it was a problem with the Apple servers or something. Very relieved. Thanks for your help.

:)

Well, I'm very glad you got it working again by following the instructions. I know you think you were doing them before, but you were likely missing a key step ;)