What's new

HELP! Cydia is completly gone/missing!

Yes. You do not want to go back to 5.1. That is not jailbreakble.

What I would do if I were you:

2) I would download the 5.1.1 iPSW file for my device model (download from Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. NOT Internet Explorer) and save it to my desktop.

2) Then I would enter DFU mode, open iTunes, and shift+restore to 5.1.1 iPSW.

3) after restore I would "setup as new" and not restore from a backup..especially the most recent one(you can restore from backup if you want but I don't recommend it. It is wise to not restore from a backup when the reason your restoring is to fix a problem...your better off to choose "setup as new")

4) After setting up as new and not restoring from backup I would then wait for iTunes to finish its initial sync. After the initial sync is done...close iTunes.

5) Then I would jailbreak with Absinthe. Do not touch the device until Absinthe tells you it's okay to open Cydia.

6) once the jailbreak is done, I would open iTunes and sync my apps, music, tones, etc before opening Cydia.

7) Then I would open Cydia, let it load completely, I would select my User preference which would be "Developer" and not "User" or "Hacker".

8) Once Cydia has fully loaded I would then tap on the Search tab and search for "Mobile Substrate" and install it...nothing else. Just Mobile Substrate.

9) Then I would Install iFile. (buy it. It's worth it)

After that I would start installing my tweaks..and be extra careful as to what I install, making sure that everything I want to install is compatible and not going to conflict with anything else I may want to install.

ok. i did all of this and now i have no service. in diagnostics & usage i have "lockdown 2012-06-01-19043" what have i done?

scodan said:
ok. i did all of this and now i have no service. in diagnostics & usage i have "lockdown 2012-06-01-19043" what have i done?

When did you get no service?

Directly after restore?
Rite after jailbreak?

Did you use the "Erase All Content and Settings" option. That will make you have no service.

Did you use the "Erase All Content and Settings" option. That will make you have no service.

i didnt notice until i finished the jailbreak but yes i did Erase All Content and Settings prior to the jb.

scodan said:
i didnt notice until i finished the jailbreak but yes i did Erase All Content and Settings prior to the jb.

Okay.

That is why you have no service.

You have 3 choices basically.

1) restore, setup as new, setup device just to where to gets to the SpringBoard, jailbreak only after you see your carriers name in the status bar...then sync music, apps, tones, etc

2) Try to get the phone activates via iTunes, or call your carrier, see if they can activate it. (don't say your jailbroken...just say you can't get it (activated). Doubt they will be able to do it tho.

3) wait....wait..and wait...and hopefully it activates itself.

This same thing happened to me..so I just restored (followed choice #1) and everything worked fine.

This is why I said "not" to use the "Erase All Content and Settings" option in my instructions. And that step is especially not needed if you restored and setup as new device....because the device is already wiped clean.

And that is actually quite strange...Absinthe is not suppose to work unless the phone is activated.

But nevertheless i would restore and follow my instructions above *exactly*.

Like literally *exactly*. Don't change one tiny little part of the procedure, and you should have a nice stable jailbreak.

well it seem i may have bricked my phone. i've tried restoring several times and still no signal. any ideas guys and gals? all help is GREATLY appreciated.

scodan said:
well it seem i may have bricked my phone. i've tried restoring several times and still no signal. any ideas guys and gals? all help is GREATLY appreciated.

What exactly have you tried?

I know you said you restored....but how long after restoring and not seeing a connection before you restored again?

Have you tried using iTunes to activate the phone.

Usually when a phone is not activated on a network, you have to fill out some information for your carrier when you plug it into iTunes.

sorry. i'm a noob to this. i restored, walked outside when it was searching... restored again, walked outside. put it into airplane mode to make it search again. about 15 minutes apart each restore. my itunes shows my number. my carrier is straight talk. i popped the sim in and it worked before.

scodan said:
sorry. i'm a noob to this. i restored, walked outside when it was searching... restored again, walked outside. put it into airplane mode to make it search again. about 15 minutes apart each restore. my itunes shows my number. my carrier is straight talk. i popped the sim in and it worked before.

Are you restoring with the SIM card in the phone?

You should wait longer then 15 minutes for the network to show.

I would try more like a series of ejecting the SIM and rebooting and variations of that.

i have done both. with sim & without. no difference. network never shows. shows no service almost immediately.

scodan said:
i have done both. with sim & without. no difference. network never shows. shows no service almost immediately.

Well...what I would do...

Is just wait. I would connect to wifi...go to the unlockit website...download and install the profile.

Then jailbreak and install TetherMe, to get APN editing (if that is the method you use anyway)

And simply wait. and wait.

Perhaps reboot a few times.

If that does not work...then call Straight Talk...they will help you get your service activated on your iPhone.

i will try that for a while until i call straight talk. thanks for your help.

Do either one of yaw have the link to the 5.1.1 firmware file you downloaded to do the restore?? im having the same problem.. .