What's new

Is my iphone 4 already jailbroken or not - confused newbie

dzinelabs

Reaction score
Hi,

just bought my iphone4 (wonder why i waited so long :) ). As i'm not living in the States, my iphone came unlocked from the store (we can get it unlocked yes). From what i've been reading, the iphone needs to be jailbroken before it can be unlocked. So does that mean it's already jailbroken or is there a way to find out?

Sorry for this probably stupid question

No, like you said, yours came unlock out of the store. For some people, they buy their phones, not from apple store, but directely from a carrier so, those phone are lock to those carrier which means that they will not be able to use the phone with another carrier other. They need to unlock their phones to be able to insert another carrier sim into the phone and get signals. In order to unlock it, they need to jailbreak first then unlock. Your phone can also be jailbreak even though it's already a factory unlock phone.

No, like you said, yours came unlock out of the store. For some people, they buy their phones, not from apple store, but directely from a carrier so, those phone are lock to those carrier which means that they will not be able to use the phone with another carrier other. They need to unlock their phones to be able to insert another carrier sim into the phone and get signals. In order to unlock it, they need to jailbreak first then unlock. Your phone can also be jailbreak even though it's already a factory unlock phone.

Right, so the jailbreak first, unlock 'rule' is only for locked phones. The unlocked out of the box still need to be jailbroken.