What's new

Very Confused Please Help

NCHornet

Reaction score
I don't want to be one of those members who ask questions that are already answered in multiple stickies and other threads throughout this awesome forum, but I have been searching and reading for over an hour and am more confused than when I started. So I want to apologize ahead of time and also say Thank You to those that can answer my questions.

I have a IPhone 4S that currently has 5.1.1 and is already Jailbroke. I did this about a year ago just to get a certain theme that I liked and haven't gone crazy with tweaking things. Phone works great and no complaints. Someone told me that I need to update my phone to a newer IOS version to make sure I don't end up with a unsupported version. Is there any truth to this?

If I should update it to a newer IOS do I have to restore back to 5.1.1 first and then go to 6.0 ( which I believe is the latest version that supports a untethered jailbreak), or can I go from the jailbroken 5.1.1 directly to the jailbroken 6.0 version? Is there a tutorial for doing this?

Any other reason why I should change my phone's IOS version?

Again, I am sorry if this is asked and answered 100 times in the last week, but I did search and read a bunch of threads to try and find these answers for myself. Thanks again.
NCH

If I wanted to stay with the Apple IOS system I could restore to 5.1.1 and then to the newest one that is out now, right? So if I understand you correctly, there is no reason for me to change my phone from what I have now, if I am happy with the way it is working? I never installed the SHSH program because I had no intentions of changing anything major. I have Cydia, Winterboard, Summerboard, Activator, SBSettings, Barrel app and the Carbon X theme, I believe that is all I have done since Jailbreaking it last year and I am happy with the phone as it is right now. I just didn't want to have a phone that was to out dated because I should have done something I didn't do. Thanks for the help.
NCH

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There really isn't a difference between iOS 5 and iOS 6 aside from social integration

Thanks I will leave it alone for now, lol!!!!

Yup. The best time to mess around with your device is when the latest iOS is jailbreakable, that way, if anything goes wrong, you can simply restore to the latest iOS and just rejailbreak it. Since the 4S is not susceptible to the exploit that allows you to install custom firmwares, it'd be best not to touch it. Whatever tweaks or apps from the Cydia store that're iOS 6 only, you can find the "original" or an alternative for iOS 5, and vise versa. Most of the newer tweaks that are iOS 6 only are derived from iOS 5 versions and are simply just a remake of it, no big deal. The stock iOS 6 itself isn't that much more different than iOS 5, so I'm not seeing what all the hype is about getting iOS 6 on devices on Reddit and such when the device is running perfectly fine on iOS 5. iOS 5 in my eyes is a much more refined iOS as iOS 6 is only just a bunch of hotfixes one after another

Makes perfect sense to me. I am not a hacker and I don't have time to spend hours to change the color of the battery image, or other stupid detail. Give me a theme that someone has designed from top to bottom and I am good to go. I don't keep up with all the different IOS versions, general life situations occupy all my free time, lol!!!! I envy those that can sit around and hack their phone that mom and dad pay for, lol!!!!! Thanks again for the honest reply and information.
God Bless
NCH