What's new

Help with restoring my 4S to IOS 7

NCHornet

Reaction score
OK, I am not a tech expert by any means, but I can follow well written instructions, lol!!!!
I have been reading for hours on this forum and I am totally confused.
Here is what I have and what I want to do.
IPHONE 4S with 5.1.1 and it is jailbroken not sure what software my son used to do this, sorry.
I would like to unjailbreak it and install the latest IOS, When there is a jailbrake available for this later IOS I will go ahead and jailbreak it?
Can someone point me to a step by step list on how to do this?
Thanks ahead of time.
NCH

You won't have to unjailbreak it. It's actually near impossible to unjailbreak a device because the indices are so heavily buried. A simple restore in DFU mode will do however. Follow the instructions here to restore to iOS 7.0.4, which can be jailbroken using Evasi0n7 outlined here. Neither requires any expertise, but you may have to re-read and/or re-do the enter DFU portion of the restore tutorial since it does take a few tries to get used to.

Thanks for the help and the links. I am going to try and do this today, but I have a stupid question. In the first link that you posted it says to download the latest version of TU and it provides a link. Am I suppose to download it on my laptop or my phone?
Thanks Again
Kevin

** update**
I am reading all the replies that members have posted in that first link and I am afraid I might screw something up, lol!!!! If my IPhone is working correctly can I just do the restore in ITunes without dong the previous steps?
Thanks

Last edited:
You can most likely ignore the TinyUmbrella portion. Essentially all you need to do is put your device in DFU mode and restore. The first link just covers all the bases

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to give this a try and I hope I don't turn my phone into an expensive brick!!!

I want to make sure I have this right. I don't need to download TU or the latest firmware to my desktop. I just need to connect the phone to my laptop and place it in DFU mode and then click restore? Is this right?
I know whenever I connect my phone a box comes up in ITunes that says there is a update for the IOS, Will this same window pop up in DFU mode? Sorry for the stupid questions just want to make sure I do it correctly.
Thanks

Last edited:
Disregard the thread. Let me break it down as simple as possible.

1) Download the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW for your iPhone 4S here. (If you don't already have it downloaded)

2) Place your device into DFU mode by pressing and holding the power and home button for 10 seconds (resulting in your device with a blank screen as if it's on standby or turned off), then release the power button but keep on holding the home button until your computer recognizes new hardware. iTunes will recognize this device in Recovery Mode even though your device is not in Recovery Mode. (Essentially outlined in the DFU for Dummies sticky here)

3) Hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac) and click the Restore button in iTunes.

4) Select the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW you downloaded

5) Wait, and done.

If you have any issues, come back as they present themselves. More than likely, you shouldn't have any issues during the process.

Thanks so much!!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes.

OK, looks like I did it. It is begining as if it was a brand new phone. I came to a screen that asks if I want to set it up as a new phone or back it up from Itunes or ICloud. If I select Itunes will it resort back to where it was before updating to 7.0.4 or will it keep the IOS and just install my contacts, photos etc.....? Thanks again for the help.

*** update***
I selected to restore my Iphone using ITunes, it asked for my password and I entered the password that I use in Itunes but it is saying the password is incorrect. I then went back and selected to back it up from I Cloud , but my last back up was over 6 months ago, and it didn't load any of my photos and several apps are missing or they are present but is says "loading " under them, but nothing is happening. Any idea why the regular password that I use with ITunes didn't work?

Can you provide a screen capture of the window?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Not sure how to do that, if someone can tell me how I would be happy to.

OK, I got my photos to transfer, I didn't have it checked to sync in ItUNES. I have been playing around with the phone using the new IOS 7 software and I think I am going to stay with it and not jailbreak right now. I have bugged y'all enough, but I thank you for all your help.
Kevin

Sure thing. If you need a user guide for an iOS 7 walkthrough, you can consult here. Most of the changes made on iOS 7 are basically just visual changes. Some of the features may have been shifted elsewhere but they should all be in the vicinity. The guide is quite thorough in explaining how some of the newer features work.