What's new

IPhone 4S on 5.1

ZombieTrev

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a complete noob at this but have tried researching it and just got confused...

I have an IPhone 4S on 5.1... Is there anyway of jailbraking this? I know that 5.1 isn't jailbrakeable but can I somehow install 5.1.1 onto it? Or upgrade to IOS 6 and go tethered?

Thanks

Additional info - Modem Firmware = 2.1.10 and I only just bought the phone and got it 2nd hand from somebody that I doubt ever jailbroke it so don't think it has any shsh files.

Unfortunately, without SHSH's saved for 5.1.1 there's no way to go to that iOS version. And, there isn't a JB available for the 4S on iOS 6.0+ yet. 😔

If your iPhone hasn't been Jailbroken previously or you've manually saved SHSH's using TinyUmbrella.... the possibility of your having SHSH's for 5.1.1 is nonexistent.

what if your iphone 4s is currently jailbroke and need to do a restore and start fresh on 5.1.1 is that possible? if so please pm me

what if your iphone 4s is currently jailbroke and need to do a restore and start fresh on 5.1.1 is that possible? if so please pm me

No need for PMs. If you're currently on iOS 5 and you want to restore to a version of iOS 5 as a clean restoration, it's a process called re-restore done with RedSn0w. RedSn0w will take advantage of a restoration exploit that lets you restore back to iOS 5 regardless of what current version of iOS 5 you're running. You'll need your SHSH blobs to do so. If you're currently jailbroken, open up Cydia on your iPhone and check which iOS are listed on the top of the Cydia main page on your iPhone 4S. The iOS that you see are the ones that you can restore to. Then there's another question. Was your device restored to a fresh copy of iOS 5 AFTER buying the device. Meaning if you bought it from your carrier, did you do a restore at all before the iOS 5 window was closed. If you did not restore your iPhone 4S at all, meaning it's running the iOS that was installed in the factory right out of the box, or you upgraded it OTA through the Settings.app, you cannot re-restore to iOS 5 period as your APTickets will not work.

ok you just confused me a little. i see on top of cydia SHSH: IOS 5.0.1,5.0.1R1,5.1,5.1.1 AND 6.0.1 currently my phone is 5.1.1.

If your device was on iOS 5.1.1 from the factory or OTA updated to iOS 5.1.1, you cannot re-restore. But I don't think that's the case since you have the iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3, go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to a clean iOS 5.1.1 IPSW, then for blobs, select Remote and let RedSn0w do its thing.

OTA upgrades are through the iPhone directly in the Settings.app. If you did perform an OTA upgrade, you won't be able to re-restore. I haven't tried a downgrading re-restore but you can try it. Try re-restoring it to iOS 5.0.1, then re-restoring it again to 5.1.1. My 4S's came with iOS 5.1.1 so I didn't have 5.0.1 blobs to test.

if it doesn't work what happens then. my main issue is right now apps will randomly close and the phones been very sluggish. i just backed up everything to my computer and seems to be running quicker right now and no apps are closing on there own

See if you can re-restore to 5.1.1. If not, then try re-restoring to either 5.0.1 or 5.0.1r1. If that doesn't work, then your only option is to manually clean out the device. A jailbroken iPhone will run a bit sluggishly depending on the background apps and tweaks. If you're running a full throttled Dreamboard theme like Boxor with all the cranks turned up with the weather widget, background clock, video background, etc etc, your device is slow dramatically as it has to dedicate more CPU to keeping those active. Or in some cases, Winterboard themes can also drag your iPhone depending on what kind of tweaks.

thats the weird thing my phone has been jailbroke for quite some time now and never had a problem before just until recent. does it matter what computer i do this from.

It shouldn't matter which computer you're using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Only if you don't back them up using Cydia tweaks like pkgbackup or something. If you're not willing to pay the few dollars, you can just go to each app/tweak individually and just queue them up to install one after another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 